Of the 28 wines featured in the "Smart Buys" section, only 2 made my list of wine picks. The Famille Lafage from Roussillon is a red wine blend consisting of 60% Syrah and 40% Grenache, and offers excellent value in this release - a "Smart Buy" for sure. The second wine is a Spanish red made with a grape that's normally used in blends, but in this case, the Rio Madre is 100% Graciano.
From the rest of the release, there is a 2010 Bordeaux that is a Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon blend from an excellent vintage that will reward with a couple of years in the cellar. Other blends include a 80% Malbec / 10% Bonarda / 10% Syrah blend from Argentina, and an organic wine from Parés Baltà that is 50/50 Cab Sauv and Grenache. Lastly, from Greece is a 100% Xinomavro from Boutari. In white wines, the Gavi di Gavi is made with 100% Cortese.
That's all for this week. In the next release, wines from Spain, Chile and Argentina are featured - so we should find quite a few very nice wines to recommend. Cheers!
- BOUTARI NAOUSSA 2010 - PDO Naoussa, Greece (#023218) (XD) - $13.95
- RIO MADRE 2013 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#354753) (XD) - $14.95 reviewed here
- LAFAGE CÔTÉ SUD 2012 - IGP Côtes Catalanes, Roussillon, France (#395236) (XD) - $14.95
- PARÉS BALTÀ MAS PETIT GARNATXA/CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2012 - DO Penedès, Spain (#114264) (XD) - $15.95
- TRIVENTO AMADO SUR MALBEC/BONARDA/SYRAH 2012 - Mendoza, Argentina (#037036) (XD) - $16.95 reviewed here
- OAK BAY GAMAY NOIR 2012 - BC VQA Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada (#392431) (XD) - $17.95
- CASAR DE BURBIA MENCÍA 2010 - DO Bierzo, Spain (#392530) (XD) - $19.95
- CHÂTEAU BEAUSÉJOUR HOSTENS 2010 - AC Haut Médoc, Bordeaux, France (#388298) (XD) - $22.95
- BERSANO GAVI DI GAVI 2013 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#999979) (XD) - $14.95 reviewed here
- ROYAL TOKAJI FURMINT 2011 - Hungary (#653220) (XD) - $14.95
- KEINT-HE VOYAGEUR CHARDONNAY 2012 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#389544) (XD) - $16.00 reviewed here
- ATTEMS PINOT GRIGIO 2013 - IGT Venezia Giulia, Friuli, Italy (#707950) (XD) - $19.95
- ANSELMANN RIESLING AUSLESE 2012 - Qualitätswein, Pfalz, Germany (#391052) (MS) - $19.95
The rest of the wines from the release can be found here.