Obviously, all white wines should be served chilled, with some chilled more than others. The white wines I can recommend from the "Chill Out" feature are the medium sweet Henry of Pelham Riesling (it will be sweet), the just off-dry (slightly sweet) Pinot Gris from New Zealand, and a dry white wine from Italy that is 100% Pecorino.
There are also some red wines as part of the "Chill Out" feature, with the claim that most red wines are served warmer than their intended 'cellar temperature' of 18°C. These days, since I don't have a wine cooling unit or basement, all of my wines are refrigerated prior to opening. It's been amazing to see how much better the wines have tasted with a slight chill and also to see how the wine changes as it warms up in the glass. If your red wines aren't getting a slight chill, I would highly encourage you to try it.
The mini-theme on Argentina was disappointing, while the feature on Greek wines produced two wine recommendations. The dry white wine from Greece is a blend of local grape varieties Malagousia and Assyrtiko. Meanwhile, the Greek red wine is a blend of 60% Merlot and 40% Ximomavro.
VINTAGES Flagship Stores.
Other red wines to consider from this release include a 60/40 Touriga Nacional/Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo) blend from Portugal, and the Lealtanza Reserva which is 100% Tempranillo. The Remelluri red from Spain is mostly Tempranillo, but also contains Garnacha, Graciano and Viura.
For sweet wine lovers, you'll want to check out the Vineland Elevation St. Urban Vineyard Riesling that recently became a VINTAGES Essential and will now be available year round. Other sweet wines to consider are the aforementioned Henry of Pelham Riesling and the Pinot Gris from New Zealand.
Enjoy my wine picks for this week. Cheers!
- TSCHARKE BAROSSA GROUNDS COLLECTION SHIRAZ 2012 - Barossa Valley, South Australia (#411520) (XD) - $17.95
- TESSELLAE VIEILLES VIGNES CARIGNAN 2013 - IGP Côtes Catalanes, Southwest, France (#343509) (XD) - $17.95
- MAÇANITA RED 2012 - DOC Douro, Portugal (#408070) (XD) - $18.95
- KTIMA KIR-YIANNI 2011 - PGI Imathia, Greece (#419234) (XD) - $18.95
- LEALTANZA RESERVA 2009 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#208223) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- REMELLURI LINDES DE REMELLURI VIÑEDOS DE LABASTIDA 2010 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#422030) (XD) - $22.95
- CARPINETO FARNITO CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2010 - IGT Toscana, Italy (#996553) (XD) - $27.95
- BARRUA 2011 - IGT Isola dei Nuraghi, Sardinia, Italy (#109124) (XD) - $43.95 FSE
- DOMAINE CHANTE CIGALE CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2012 - AP, Rhône, France (#194993) (XD) - $44.95
- OSOYOOS LAROSE LE GRAND VIN 2010 - BC VQA Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada (#626325) (XD) - $44.95 FSE reviewed here
- NICOLÁS CATENA ZAPATA 2010 - Mendoza, Argentina (#396960) (D) - $110.00 FSE reviewed here
- TENUTE MESSIERI VISIONI OFFIDA PECORINO 2012 - DOCG, Marche, Italy (#414011) (XD) 750 mL $16.95
- HENRY OF PELHAM ESTATE RIESLING 2012 - VQA Short Hills Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#557165) (M) - $17.95
- KTIMA GEROVASSILIOU WHITE 2014 - PGI Epanomi, Greece (#999714) (XD) - $18.95
- MOMO PINOT GRIS 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#163535) (D) - $19.95
- VINELAND ESTATES ELEVATION ST. URBAN VINEYARD RIESLING 2014 - VQA Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#038117) (M) - $19.95
- SERESIN SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#735043) (XD) - $23.95
- DOG POINT VINEYARD CHARDONNAY 2012 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#238568) (XD) - $42.95 FSE
- BILLAUD-SIMON MONTÉE DE TONNERRE CHABLIS 1 ER CRU 2011 - AC, Burgundy, France (#325241) (XD) - $45.95
- ROUX PÈRE & FILS LES CHAUMES CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET 2013 - AC, Burgundy, France (#208512) (XD) - $64.95
- DOMAINES OTT CHÂTEAU DE SELLE COEUR DE GRAIN ROSÉ 2014 - AC Côtes de Provence, France (#074617) (XD) - $46.95 FSE
- NAVERAN BRUT NATURE MILLESSIME CAVA 2011 - DO, Navarra, Spain (#414649) (XD) - $17.95
- CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT RÉSERVE CHAMPAGNE - AC, Champagne, France (#036962) (D) - $69.95
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.