After large (and expensive) VINTAGES Releases in the Fall leading up to the holidays, we arrive in 2017 with the annual "Smart Buys" release. The first release of 2017 is a thin release, with most of the wines listed under $20 and quite contrasted compared to what we saw over the past 3 months. The wines from the LCBO VINTAGES Release will be on shelves this coming .
This mono-thematic release lists 20 wines in the Smart Buys section and 4 are included among my wine picks. The lone white wine among the four is a Sauvignon Blanc from Chile. In reds, there is a Malbec from Argentina and a Beaujolais for Gamay lovers. If you're feeling a bit adventurous, try Graciano - a grape that's normally used in blending - but is available as a single varietal wine in the Rio Madre from Spain.
Other red wines in this release include a Rosso di Montalcino that is made with Sangiovese and is considered the little brother of Brunello. The Château Boucassé is a nicely maturing wine (with many years to go) that is Tannat-based, but also contains Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. From Rhône, the Vacqueyras is a blend of mainly Grenache and Syrah, while the Saint-Joseph is 100% Syrah.
In white wines, both the Mâcon-Uchizy and the Petit Chablis are Chardonnays from Burgundy with minimal-to-no oak influence. If you like sweeter wines, the Chenin Blanc offers hints of sweet flavours, but going up many notches on the sugar scale is a rare-to-Ontario White Port from Ferreira.
Enjoy my wine recommendations from this release! Cheers!
- CANTINA SAN PAOLO AGLIANICO 2015 - IGP Campania, Italy (#473132) (XD) - $13.95
- CASTELLO DI FONTERUTOLI CHIANTI CLASSICO 2014 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#599779) (XD) (375 mL) - $13.95 reviewed here
- CHÂTEAU DU CHATELARD CUVÉE LES CHALANDIÈRES BEAUJOLAIS 2014 - AC, France (#468702) (XD) - $14.95
- RIO MADRE GRACIANO 2014 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#354753) (XD) - $14.95
- QUERCECCHIO ROSSO DI MONTALCINO 2014 - DOC, Tuscany, Italy (#394973) (XD) - $15.95
- PIATTELLI PREMIUM RESERVE MALBEC 2013 - Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina (#455808) (XD) - $16.95
- GÉRARD BERTRAND GRAND TERROIR TAUTAVEL GRENACHE / SYRAH / CARIGNAN 2013 - AP Côtes du Roussillon-Villages, Midi, France (#272575) (D) - $18.95
- ARBOLEDA CARMENÈRE 2014 - Aconcagua Valley, Chile (#046284) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here
- GIESEN PINOT NOIR 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#465948) (XD) - $21.95
- CHÂTEAU BOUSCASSÉ 2009 - AP Madiran, Southwest, France (#743385) (XD) - $21.95
- GABRIEL MEFFRE SAINT-BARTHÉLÉMY VACQUEYRAS 2014 - AP, Rhône, France (#479691) (D) - $25.95
- MARQUIS DE MONTFERRAT SAINT-JOSEPH 2012 - AC, Rhône, France (#470443) (XD) - $29.95
- DOMAINE DU MEIX-FOULOT CLOS DU CHÂTEAU DE MONTAIGU MERCUREY 1ER CRU 2013 - Monopole, AC, Burgundy, France (#123927) (XD) - $38.95 FSE
- MAN FREE-RUN STEEN CHENIN BLANC 2015 - WO Coastal Region, South Africa (#126847) (D) - $13.95
- BOYA SAUVIGNON BLANC 2016 - Leyda Valley, Chile (#389726) (XD) - $15.95
- GÉRALD TALMARD MÂCON-UCHIZY 2015 - AC, Burgundy, France (#470427) (XD) - $15.95
- ALAIN GEOFFROY PETIT CHABLIS 2015 - AC, Burgundy, France (#470393) (XD) - $19.95
- NIKOLAIHOF WACHAU TERRASSEN GRÜNER VELTLINER 2014 - Wachau, Austria (#085274) (XD) - $20.95 reviewed here
- BOUCHARD PÈRE & FILS CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET 2014 - AC, Burgundy, France (#479824) (XD) - $66.95 FSE
- FERREIRA LAGRIMA WHITE PORT - DOP, Portugal (#473033) (S) - $16.95