The Sangiovese varietal is Tuscany's most prominent, however, many towns have their own local version of this grape. Within the Chianti region, there is the sub-region called "Chianti Classico". The Castello di Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva is made from 95% Sangiovese and 5% Canaiolo, and was first produced in 1897.
Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is an appellation surrounding the town of Montepulciano. Wines from this region have been documented as far back as year 789. The version from Poliziano is made from 85% Prugnolo Gentile (local clone of Sangiovese) and 15% Colorino/Canaiolo/Merlot.
Last, but not least, we have two wines from the Brunello di Montalcino appellation, which surrounds the town of Montalcino. The Brunello's from Caparzo and Altesino are both 100% Sangiovese and are from the excellent 2007 vintage. The Caparzo is drinkable now, while the Altesino needs at least 1 year in bottle, while both could be aged for at least the next 7 years.
From the rest of the release, the La Montesa from Spain is Tempranillo-blend, while the Château Cailleteau is a mostly Merlot-blend. In white wine, the Croix de Montceau is an oaked Chardonnay and the Clos Floridène is a blend of 51% Sémillon, 47% Sauvignon Blanc and 2% Muscadelle. Enjoy
- TRAPICHE FINCAS LAS PALMAS CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2007 - Mendoza, Argentina (#143206) (XD) - $16.95
- PALACIOS REMONDO LA MONTESA 2009 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#674572) (XD) - $17.95
- CHÂTEAU CAILLETEAU BERGERON 2010 - AC Blaye-Côtes-de-Bordeaux, France (#309138) (XD) - $17.95
- MAS DES BRESSADES LES VIGNES DE MON PÈRE CABERNET/SYRAH 2009 - Vin de Pays du Gard, Midi, France (#712174) (XD) - $19.95
- ROSEWOOD ESTATES MERLOT 2010 - VQA Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#211896) (D) - $22.00 reviewed here
- POLIZIANO VINO NOBILE DI MONTEPULCIANO 2009 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#988055) (XD) - $25.95
- CASTELLO DI QUERCETO CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA 2008 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#650754) (XD) - $27.95
- GIRIBALDI BARBARESCO 2006 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#101147) (XD) - $31.95
- CAPARZO BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2007 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#579094) (XD) - $41.95
- ALTESINO BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2007 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#994095) (XD) - $57.95
- ANSELMANN GEWÜRZTRAMINER KABINETT 2011 - Prädikatswein, Pfalz, Germany (#909697) (MS) - $14.95
- IN SITU SIGNATURE CHARDONNAY/VIOGNIER 2011 - Aconcagua Valley, Chile (#311746) (D) - $15.95
- FIELDING ESTATE RIESLING 2011 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#251439) (D) - $18.95 reviewed here
- CROIX DE MONTCEAU SAINT-VÉRAN 2010 - AC, Burgundy, France (#159046) (XD) - $18.95
- SALOMON-UNDHOF WIEDEN & BERG TRADITION GRÜNER VELTLINER 2011 - DAC Kremstal, Austria (#670513) (D) - $19.95
- KONZELMANN 4 GENERATIONS BARREL FERMENTED CHARDONNAY 2009 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#148460) (XD) - $30.00
- CLOS FLORIDÈNE BLANC 2009 - AC Graves, Bordeaux, France (#189357) (XD) - $31.85
- QUINTA DE LA ROSA VINTAGE PORT 2009 - Estate Bottled, DOC Douro, Portugal (#741397) (S) - $49.95
- COTNARI VIN ALB DULCE TÃMÂIOASÃ ROMÂNEASCÃ 2010 - DOC Cotnari, Romania (#651653) (MS) - $12.95
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.