We begin with the Guintrandy Cairanne that is made using 75% Grenache and 25% Syrah, from vines that are more than 50 years old; the family has been maintaining this estate since 1850. Also from France is the Château Fleur de Jean Gué from the fabulous 2010 Bordeaux vintage that is 80% Merlot and 20% Cab Franc. Shiraz lovers will want to check out The Black Chook Shiraz/Viognier that includes 5% Viognier to add some interesting floral aromatics. Those who prefer lighter and less tannic wines will be interested in the Gray Monk Pinot Noir, which represents (again!) the single wine from B.C. that is available in the entire release.
From the rest of the release, the blend from Casarena consists of 70% Malbec, 20% Cab Sauvignon, 7% Cab Franc and 3% Petit Verdot, while the Beronia blend is mostly Tempranillo and small amounts of Mazuelo and Graciano.
Among my white wine recommendations, all are dry (i.e. not sweet) except for the Sauternes. The Fumé Blanc from California, and the version from Loire are both made with Sauvignon Blanc and are worth comparing side-by-side. The Joseph Phelps Chardonnay is exquisite for lovers of oaked Chardonnay.
Looking back, I notice there is something for virtually everyone as a fairly wide variety of grapes are represented. Having said that, besides the Sauternes, sweet wine lovers may want to skip this release. Enjoy my wine picks and we'll see you again in 2 weeks time!
- VIÑA TARAPACÁ GRAN RESERVA CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2011 - Maipo Valley, Chile (#018721) (XD) - $17.95
- THE BLACK CHOOK SHIRAZ/VIOGNIER 2012 - McLaren Vale, South Australia (#066738) (XD) - $17.95
- TAWSE GAMAY NOIR 2012 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#322545) (D) - $18.95
- GRAY MONK PINOT NOIR 2011 - VQA Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada (#251835) (XD) - $19.95
- CASARENA SINERGY RESERVA RED 2011 - Mendoza, Argentina (#366104) (XD) - $18.95
- PÉREZ CRUZ LIMITED EDITION CARMENÈRE 2012 - Maipo Valley, Chile (#670539) (XD) - $19.95
- DOMAINE LA GUINTRANDY VIEILLES VIGNES CAIRANNE 2009 - AC Côtes du Rhône Villages, France (#362624) (XD) - $19.95
- CHÂTEAU FLEUR DE JEAN GUÉ 2010 - AC Lalande-de-Pomerol, Bordeaux, France (#729137) (XD) - $24.95
- BERONIA GRAN RESERVA 2006 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#940965) (XD) - $34.95
- ANDRETTA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2007 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#367367) (XD) - $53.95
- CAVE DU HAUT-POITOU VALLÉE LOIRE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2012 - AC Haut-Poitou, Loire, France (#357293) (XD) - $16.95
- CASAL DI SERRA VERDICCHIO DEI CASTELLI DI JESI CLASSICO SUPERIORE 2011 - DOC, Marche, Italy (#268169) (XD) - $17.95
- D’ARENBERG THE HERMIT CRAB VIOGNIER/MARSANNE 2012 - McLaren Vale, South Australia (#662775) (XD) - $19.95
- CHÂTEAU ST. JEAN FUMÉ BLANC 2011 - Sonoma County, California, USA (#537639) (XD) - $19.95
- CHÂTEAU GUIRAUD 2010 - AC Sauternes, Bordeaux, France (#256347) (S) (375 mL) - $39.85
- JOSEPH PHELPS FREESTONE VINEYARDS CHARDONNAY 2011 - Sonoma Coast, California, USA (#249425) (XD) - $73.95
- TAWSE SKETCHES OF NIAGARA ROSÉ 2012 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#172643) (D) - $13.25
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.