I was surprised to see only 12 wines listed in the South of France feature as it's rather small compared to recent main Vintages themes. However, nearly half made my list of wine picks, and the lone white is a Viognier. Among the reds, 2 wines from Minervois appellation made the cut. From Gourgazaud is a blend of Syrah and Mourvèdre, while the version from Hecht & Bannier is mostly Syrah, some Grenache, and drops of Carignan. Also from Hecht & Bannier is their Saint-Chinian, which is mainly Syrah, with Grenache and Mourvèdre blended in support, all of which hails from the Saint-Chinian AOC. And lastly, from Gérard Bertrand is a blend of Syrah, Mourvèdre and Grenache and comes from the Pic Saint-Loup appellation.
The feature on Argentina's Malbec was a bit disappointing as there were some good wines, but represented poor value. Just one of the six wines made my list of recommendations below. The Malbec from Finca Decero hails from a single vineyard located 1,050 metres above sea level in Agrelo.
From the rest of the release, the Basa Blanco is a crisp, dry white wine that is a blend consisting of 85% Verdejo, 12% Viura, and 3% Sauvignon Blanc. Sweet wine lovers will want to consider any of the 4 Rieslings I've recommended below - there are two each from Ontario and Germany. The Tavel Rosé is a blend of Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah and Mourvèdre. In red wines, the Crianza is mostly Tempranillo, with Garnacha tinta (Grenache) and Graciano also blended in. And finally, the Châteauneuf-du-Pape is 70% Grenache, with Mourvèdre, Syrah, Cinsault and other grape varieties making up the final 30% of the blend.
Enjoy my Vintages wine recommendations for this week. Cheers!
- CHÂTEAU DE GOURGAZAUD CUVÉE MATHILDE MINERVOIS 2011 - AC, Midi, France (#958629) (XD) - $14.95
- LÓPEZ DE HARO CRIANZA 2008 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#377481) (XD) - $15.95
- CASA SILVA LOS LINGUES GRAN RESERVA CARMENÈRE 2012 - Colchagua Valley, Chile (#059477) (XD) - $15.95
- GÉRARD BERTRAND GRAND TERROIR PIC SAINT LOUP 2011 - AP Coteaux du Languedoc, Midi, France (#376491) (XD) - $19.95
- HECHT & BANNIER MINERVOIS 2011 - AC, Midi, France (#017764) (XD) - $20.95
- DECERO REMOLINOS VINEYARD MALBEC 2011 - Agrelo, Central Region, Mendoza, Argentina (#247304) (XD) - $22.95
- HECHT & BANNIER SAINT-CHINIAN 2011 - AC, Midi, France (#184184) (XD) - $25.95 reviewed here
- VILLA ANNABERTA AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA 2010 - DOCG, Veneto, Italy (#338921) (D) - $39.95
- DOMAINE MONPERTUIS CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2010 - AC, Rhone, France (#358663) (XD) - $42.95
- RAYMOND DISTRICT COLLECTION CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2009 - St. Helena, Napa Valley, California, USA (#054734) (XD) - $74.95
- GUILLAUME AURÈLE VIOGNIER 2013 - IGP Pays d’Oc, Midi, France (#380741) (XD) - $13.95
- POIRON DABIN VIEILLES VIGNES MUSCADET SÈVRE & MAINE SUR LIE 2012 - AC, Loire, France (#380006) (XD) - $14.95
- BASA BLANCO 2013 - DO Rueda, Spain (#381558) (XD) - $17.95
- REDSTONE LIMESTONE VINEYARD SOUTH RIESLING 2012 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#381251) (M) - $18.95 reviewed here
- VINELAND ESTATES ELEVATION ST. URBAN VINEYARD RIESLING 2012 - VQA Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#038117) (M) - $19.95
- REICHSGRAF VON KESSELSTATT KASELER NIES'CHEN RIESLING KABINETT 2006 - Pradikätswein, Mosel, Germany (#940809) (MD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- DR. HERMANN ERDENER TREPPCHEN RIESLING AUSLESE 2005 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#376368) (M) - $23.95
- NORMAN HARDIE NIAGARA UNFILTERED CHARDONNAY 2012 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#184432) (XD) - $39.20
- DOMAINE BILLAUD-SIMON LES VAILLONS CHABLIS 1 ER CRU 2011 - AC, Burgundy, France (#330175) (XD) - $39.95
- DOMAINE LA ROCALIÈRE TAVEL ROSÉ 2013 - AC, Rhône, France (#375618) (XD) - $19.95
- VALDESPINO INOCENTE SINGLE VINEYARD FINO DRY SHERRY - DO Jerez-Xérès-Sherry, Spain (#378919) (XD) - $22.95
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.