Of the 11 wines featured as part of the feature on New Zealand, three made my list of wine picks. New Zealand is known for its Sauvignon Blanc. The Savvy from Sugar Loaf Wines, being from Marlborough, is on the tropical fruit side of the spectrum. New Zealand's take on Pinot Gris tends to lean towards to the robust, sweeter versions found in Alsace, such as the version from Waimea Estates that's found in this release. Also from Waimea Estates is a just off-dry (i.e. slightly sweet) Riesling that hails from Nelson on the South Island. Lastly, placed near the back of the magazine as part of the Flagship Store Exclusive is a stunning Pinot Noir from Dog Point Vineyard.
The feature on German wines is titled "Next-Generation Germany" and focuses on 8 winemakers who are making waves within the German wine world and abroad. Seven of the eight wines featured are included among my wine recommendations, with wines ranging from bone-dry to medium-sweet, and include grapes (styles) such as Pinot Blanc (Trocken/dry), Pinot Gris, Riesling, Riesling (Kabinett), and Gewürztraminer (Spätlese/late harvest.)
The rosé feature had 10 wines listed, three of which are included below. All three wines are dry in style (i.e. not sweet) - my preferred style of rosé. The version from Torres is a blend of Garnacha (a.k.a. Grenache) and Cariñena (a.k.a. Carignan.) Meanwhile, the two rosés from Rhône both contain Grenache and Syrah, while the Mas des Bressades adds some Cinsault.
From the rest of the release, there is a trifecta of Spanish wines worth your attention. The Costaño is made with 70% Monastrell, 15% Garnacha Tintorera, and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, while the mature 2005 Hacienda Lopez de Haro is a blend of Tempranillo and Graciano. Lastly, the 2005 Marqués de Cáceres is a blend of mostly Tempranillo, with small amounts of Grenache and Graciano added. More Grenache (75%) is found in the Chateauneuf-du-Pape, along with 11% Mourvèdre, 11% Syrah and 3 other grapes making up the final blend.
Last, but definitely not least, is a dessert wine from Austria that's made using botrytis-affected grapes and blended as 41% Sämling (Scheurebe), 24% Muscat Ottonel, 22% Chardonnay and 13% Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc.)
Enjoy my wine recommendations for this week. Cheers!
- CASTAÑO SOLANERA VIÑAS VIEJAS 2012 - DO Yecla, Spain (#276162) (D) - $16.95
- GÉRARD BERTRAND LANGUEDOC SYRAH/GRENACHE 2011 - AP, Midi, France (#413237) (XD) - $17.00
- HACIENDA LOPEZ DE HARO RESERVA 2005 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#357335) (XD) - $18.95
- TERRA NOBLE GRAN RESERVA CARMENÈRE 2011 - Maule Valley, Chile (#957050) (XD) - $18.95
- TRIVENTO GOLDEN RESERVE MALBEC 2012 - Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina (#588731) (XD) - $19.95
- MARQUÉS DE CÁCERES GRAN RESERVA 2005 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#976670) (XD) - $29.95
- BACHELDER LOWREY VINEYARD PINOT NOIR 2012 - VQA St. David’s Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#361816) (XD) - $44.95 Flagship Store Exclusive reviewed here
- BOSQUET DES PAPES CUVÉE TRADITION CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2012 - AC, Rhône, France (#726687) (D) - $49.95
- DOG POINT PINOT NOIR 2012 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#329672) (XD) - $49.95 Flagship Store Exclusive
- SANDER PINOT BLANC TROCKEN 2013 - Qualitätswein, Pfalz, Germany (#413930) (D) - $15.95
- RUPPERTSBERGER LINSENBUSCH GEWÜRZTRAMINER SPÄTLESE 2014 - Prädikatswein, Pfalz, Germany (#320473) (MS) - $17.95 reviewed here
- WAIMEA PINOT GRIS 2014 - Nelson, South Island, New Zealand (#408682) (D) - $18.95 reviewed here
- WAIMEA CLASSIC RIESLING 2014 - Nelson, South Island, New Zealand (#408666) (D) - $18.95 reviewed here
- SUGAR LOAF SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#410001) (XD) - $19.95
- KLUMPP RIESLING 2013 - Qualitätswein, Baden, Germany (#409748) (D) - $19.95
- MARKUS MOLITOR HAUS KLOSTERBERG RIESLING 2013 - Qualitätswein, Mosel, Germany (#409698) (D) - $20.95 reviewed here
- SALWEY PINOT GRIS 2013 - Qualitätswein, Baden, Germany (#409912) (XD) - $21.95
- FRIEDRICH-WILHELM-GYMNASIUM GRAACHER HIMMELREICH RIESLING KABINETT 2012 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#411249) (MS) - $22.95
- C.H. BERRES ÜRZIGER WÜRZGARTEN RIESLING KABINETT 2012 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#207274) (MS) - $24.95 reviewed here
- PHILIPPE COLIN CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET LES CHAUMÉES 1ER CRU 2011 - AC, Burgundy, France (#299933) (XD) - $87.95 Flagship Store Exclusive
- TORRES SANGRE DE TORO ROSÉ 2014 - DO Catalunya, Spain (#233437) (XD) - $13.95
- MAS DES BRESSADES CUVÉE TRADITION ROSÉ 2014 - AP Costières de Nîmes, Rhône, France (#950576) (XD) - $15.95
- BROTTE LES EGLANTIERS TAVEL 2014 - AC, Rhône, France (#654970) (XD) - $19.95
- LABOURÉ-GONTARD BRUT CRÉMANT DE BOURGOGNE - Méthode Traditionnelle, AC, Burgundy, France (#401018) (XD) - $19.95
- LENZ MOSER PRESTIGE TROCKENBEERENAUSLESE 2012 - Prädikatswein, Burgenland, Austria (#729657) (S) (375 mL) - $20.95
The rest of the wines from this release are here.