Of the 28 wines and spirits featured as part of this mono-thematic release, 9 are included among my wine picks. Brace yourself, as the least expensive of the nine wines costs $89.95 - it's the Châteauneuf-du-Pape consisting of Cinsault, Counoise, Grenache, Mourvèdre and Syrah, and the Barossa Valley Shiraz.
Six of the wines I've recommended begin at $159.95 and go all the way up to almost $300. The iconic wines in this group include Cabernet Sauvignon's from Silver Oak (84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot and 1% Cabernet Franc) and Chateau Montelena. The Joseph Phelps Insignia is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot, 10% Merlot, 3% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc. From the two Bolgheri wineries in Italy, the Ornellaia consists of 56% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc and 7% Petit Verdot, while the Sassicaia consists of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Cabernet Franc. Lastly, the Solaia contains 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Sangiovese, and 5% Cabernet Franc. Perhaps it's no surprise that all of these fine wines have a fairly strong Cabernet Sauvignon component and can be aged for many years.
The only white wine among my wine recommendations from the mono-thematic is the Kistler Chardonnay.
From the rest of the release, the M. Chapoutier wine is a blend of Syrah, Grenache and Carignan, while the Lungarotti is 90% Sangiovese and 10% Colorino. The In Situ blend from Chile has 50% Syrah, 45% Mourvedre and 5% Viognier.
In white wines, the Greek wine is made with the Roditis grape, the Donnachiara is made with Greco di Tufo, the Montagny is Chardonnay, and lastly, the Sancerre is 100% Sauvignon Blanc.
Enjoy my wine picks for this week. Cheers!
- M. CHAPOUTIER LES VIGNES DE BILA-HAUT CÔTES DU ROUSSILLON VILLAGES 2014 - AC, Midi, France (#168716) (D) - $15.95
- LUNGAROTTI RUBESCO SANGIOVESE/COLORINO 2012 - DOC Rosso di Torgiano, Umbria, Italy (#368548) (XD) - $17.95
- CONCHA Y TORO MARQUÉS DE CASA CONCHA SYRAH 2012 - Buin, Maipo Valley, Chile (#019042) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- SUSANA BALBO SIGNATURE MALBEC 2013 - Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina (#079798) (D) - $19.95
- IN SITU SIGNATURE WINES HILLSIDE BLEND 2012 - Aconcagua Valley, Chile (#431098) (XD) - $19.95
- SIEGEL SINGLE VINEYARD LOS LINGUES CARMENÈRE 2012 - Colchagua Valley, Chile (#431072) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- CHAPELLE DE POTENSAC 2010 - AC Médoc, Bordeaux, France (#434761) (XD) - $29.95
- L’EXPRESSON DE MARGAUX 2010 - AC Margaux, Bordeaux, France (#431734) (XD) - $33.95
- CHÂTEAU DE BEAUCASTEL CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2013 - AC, Rhône, France (#711317) (D) - $89.95
- BAROSSA VALLEY ESTATE E&E BLACK PEPPER SHIRAZ 2008 - Barossa Valley, South Australia (#731620) (XD) - $89.95
- SILVER OAK CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2010 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#936039) (D) - $159.95
- CHATEAU MONTELENA ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2011 - Calistoga, Napa Valley, California, USA (#709881) (XD) - $187.95
- ORNELLAIA 2012 - DOC Bolgheri Superiore, Tuscany, Italy (#382051 / #722470 / #382515) (D) (375 mL / 750 mL / 1500 mL) $103.95 / $195.95 / $465.95
- SASSICAIA 2012 - DOC Bolgheri Sassicaia, Tuscany, Italy (#480533) (D) - $199.95
- ANTINORI SOLAIA 2011 - IGT Toscana, Italy (#987586) (XD) - $249.95 reviewed here
- JOSEPH PHELPS INSIGNIA 2012 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#710400) (D) - $299.95
- GIANNIKOS AT SEA RODITIS 2014 - Product of Organic Farming, Peloponnese, Greece (#431684) (D) - $17.95
- DELHEIM FAMILY CHENIN BLANC 2014 - WO Stellenbosch, South Africa (#429720) (XD) - $17.95
- DONNACHIARA GRECO DI TUFO 2013 - DOCG, Campania, Italy (#262964) (XD) - $17.95
- HENRY OF PELHAM ESTATE CHARDONNAY 2013 - VQA Short Hills Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#268342) (XD) - $19.95
- VIGNERONS DE BUXY BUISSONNIER MONTAGNY 2013 - AC, Burgundy, France (#382879) (XD) - $19.95
- LETH BRUNNTHAL 1ÖWT GRÜNER VELTLINER 2013 - Qualitätswein, Fels am Wagram, Austria (#012278) (XD) - $24.95
- JEAN-MAX ROGER CUVÉE G.C. SANCERRE 2014 - AC, Loire, France (#189126) (XD) - $28.95 reviewed here
- SPY VALLEY ENVOY SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013 - Waihopai Valley, Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#429308) (XD) - $29.95
- KÜNSTLER HOCHHEIMER STIELWEG OLD VINES RIESLING TROCKEN 2013 - Qualitätswein, Rheingau, Germany (#425041) (XD) - $42.95 FSE
- KISTLER LES NOISETIERS CHARDONNAY 2013 - Sonoma Coast, California, USA (#251223) (XD) - $99.95
- MIRAVAL ROSÉ 2014 - AP Côtes de Provence, France (#342584) (XD) - $22.95
- BAILLY LAPIERRE RÉSERVE BRUT CRÉMANT DE BOURGOGNE - Méthode Traditionnelle, AC, Burgundy, France (#991562) (D) - $19.95
- CAVE SPRING INDIAN SUMMER SELECT LATE HARVEST RIESLING 2013 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#415901) (S) (375 mL) - $24.95
- CHÂTEAU DE LAUBADE BAS XO ARMAGNAC - AC, France (#055830) (700 mL) - $99.95