From the "Smart Buys" thematic, only 4 of the 20 wines featured are included among my wine picks below. First up is an Australian Shiraz from a grape grower that has been growing grapes for decades for other winemakers, but has now finally decided make his own wine. The other red wine is an Argentinian red blend consisting of equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Merlot. In white wines, the medium sweet Featherstone Riesling is back in VINTAGES. There is also an intriguing Italian Moscato that is - get this - made in an uncommon dry style (i.e not sweet).
In white wines from the rest of the release, there are a pair of very sweet Rieslings from Germany. Since it is new year, why not try some new varietals you may have never tasted before? There's a Grüner Veltliner, a Coda di Volpe, and a florally aromatic Moschofilero/Roditis blend from Greece. All three of these wines are dry.
Among the red wines, the Michel Gassier red is a blend of 50% Grenache, 20% Syrah, 20% Mourvèdre, and 10% Carignan/Cinsault, while the Maquis Lien is 42% Cabernet Franc, 32% Syrah, 23% Carmenere and 2% Petit Verdot. Lastly, the IGT Super Tuscan is mainly Sangiovese with small amounts of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot added.
Happy New Year and I hope you enjoy my first set of LCBO wine recommendations of 2016! Cheers!
- CHÂTEAU DES ALADÈRES SÉLECTION VIEILLES VIGNES 2012 - AC Corbières, Midi, France (#431726) (XD) - $14.95
- NIETO SENETINER DON NICANOR CABERNET/MALBEC/MERLOT 2012 - Mendoza, Argentina (#640938) (XD) - $16.95
- DON’T HESITATE SHIRAZ 2013 - McLaren Vale, South Australia (#434159) (XD) - $17.00
- SANTA RITA MEDALLA REAL GRAN RESERVA CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2011 - Maipo Valley, Chile (#275594) (XD) - $17.95
- NALS MARGREID PINOT NOIR 2013 - DOC Alto Adige, Italy (#434225) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- MICHEL GASSIER NOSTRE PAÏS 2012 - AC Costières de Nîmes, Rhône, France (#295410) (D) - $22.95 reviewed here
- MAQUIS LIEN 2009 - Colchagua Valley, Chile (#403881) (XD) - $29.00 FSE reviewed here
- CAIAROSSA PERGOLAIA 2008 - IGT Toscana, Italy (#424333) (XD) - $34.95
- SYN+ WHITE DOT MOSCHOFILERO/RODITIS 2014 - PGI Peloponnese, Greece (#429944) (XD) - $13.95
- FEATHERSTONE BLACK SHEEP RIESLING 2014 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#080234) (M) - $16.95
- DONNACHIARA IRPINIA CODA DI VOLPE 2013 - DOP, Campania, Italy (#434241) (XD) - $16.95
- FRED LOIMER LOIS GRÜNER VELTLINER 2013 - DAC Kamptal, Austria (#422717) (XD) - $17.95 reviewed here
- PUPILLO CYANE MOSCATO 2010 - IGT Sicilia, Italy (#156430) (XD) - $18.95
- STUDERT-PRÜM WEHLENER SONNENUHR RIESLING SPÄTLESE 2011 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#912659) (S) - $24.95
- JOH. JOS. PRÜM WEHLENER SONNENUHR RIESLING KABINETT 2011 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#440131) (MS) - $39.95 FSE
- ZUCCARDI BLANC DE BLANCS CUVÉE ESPECIAL 2008 - Méthode Traditionnelle, Tupungato, Mendoza, Argentina (#435438) (XD) - $19.95