Of the 20 wines featured from the 10 benchmark regions of Europe, just three wines were included among my wine recommendations. Both of the red wine picks from this thematic are from Italy - a gorgeous Brunello made with Tuscany's signature grape Sangiovese, and the famous Barolo made using Nebbiolo. The only white wine chosen from this theme is a very nice Sauvignon Blanc from Loire Valley.
From California's "other" wine regions of Mendocino, Lodi, Monterey and Paso Robles, none of the 10 wines featured made my list of wine picks.
In red wines from the rest of the release, we are going to begin with wines a little bit off the beaten path. From Croatia is a red blend consisting of indigenous 30% Teran, 50% Merlot, and 20%
Blaufränkisch (a.k.a Lemberger), while the wine from Sicily is a blend of Nerello Mascalese and Nero d'Avola - both of these wines are new to VINTAGES. The São Miguel from Portugal is also new to VINTAGES and consists of Alicante Bouschet, Touriga Franca, and Touriga Nacional. The mature Rhône red is a blend of 80% Grenache old vines and 20% Syrah from young vines. All of the Tuscan reds are made with Sangiovese.
In white wines, the Fumé Blanc is mostly Sauvignon Blanc - plus 6% Semillon - that was barrel fermented and oak-aged in barrel for 9-months. If you enjoy sweeter wines, look for the off-dry Old Vines Riesling from Château des Charmes, or if you prefer very sweet wines, go for the Vineland Estates Riesling.
Enjoy my LCBO wine picks from this release. Cheers!
- VINA LAGUNA TERRA ROSSA 2013 - Istria, Croatia (#450437) (XD) - $15.95
- SÃO MIGUEL ESCOLHA DOS ENOLOGOS 2011 - Vinho Regional Alentejano, Portugal (#445122) (XD) - $17.95 reviewed here
- CLOS TROTELIGOTTE K-OR MALBEC 2014 - AC Cahors, Southwest, France (#299982) (XD) - $18.95
- HAUNER SALINA ROSSO 2013 - IGP, Sicily, Italy (#440784) (XD) - $19.95
- SANTA DUC ROAIX LES CROTTES 2010 - AC Côtes du Rhône-Villages, France (#437491) (XD) - $19.95
- TERRE DI TALAMO TEMPO MORELLINO DI SCANSANO 2012 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#438556) (XD) - $21.95 reviewed here
- PATRIZI BAROLO 2011 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#653527) (XD) - $34.95
- AVIGNONESI VINO NOBILE DI MONTEPULCIANO 2012 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#943670) (XD) - $39.95
- SAN FELICE IL GRIGIO GRAN SELEZIONE CHIANTI CLASSICO 2011 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#403477) (D) - $46.95
- LA LECCIAIA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#121905) (XD) - $57.95
- CATENA ZAPATA NICASIA VINEYARD MALBEC 2011 - La Consulta, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina (#132357) (XD) - $89.95 FSE
- CHÂTEAU DES CHARMES OLD VINES RIESLING 2013 - VQA Niagara-on-the-Lake, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#277228) (D) - $16.95
- FLAT ROCK CHARDONNAY 2013 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#286278) (XD) - $18.95
- CANTINA ANDRIAN FLOREADO SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - DOC Südtirol/Alto Adige, Italy (#435396) (XD) - $19.95
- CONCHA Y TORO MARQUÉS DE CASA CONCHA CHARDONNAY 2013 - Limarí Valley, Chile (#342857) (XD) - $19.95
- VINELAND ESTATES ELEVATION ST. URBAN VINEYARD RIESLING 2014 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#038117) (MS) - $19.95
- FANTINEL SANT’HELENA PINOT GRIGIO 2014 - DOC Collio, Friuli, Italy (#310144) (XD) - $20.95
- ROBERT MONDAVI FUMÉ BLANC 2014 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#221887) (XD) - $22.95 reviewed here
- ARGYROS ASSYRTIKO 2015 - PDO Santorini, Greece (#387365) (XD) - $22.95
- TWO RIVERS CONVERGENCE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#277707) (XD) - $23.95
- F. TINEL-BLONDELET L’ARRÊT BUFFATTE POUILLY-FUMÉ 2014 - AC, Loire, France (#169730) (XD) - $24.95
- GRAHAM BECK BRUT ZERO 2009 - Méthode Cap Classique, South Africa (#435453) (XD) - $22.95