From the main theme, 14 wines are listed and 4 are included among my top wine picks. A common theme among many of the wineries featured is that they were formed many years ago and passed down from generation to generation, with more recent generations producing wines using traditional methods combined with modern winemaking techniques. From the young and talented winemaker Ben Glaetzer in Australia is the Heartland Cabernet Sauvignon, while the Catena Family brings us their single-vineyard Altamira Malbec. The Gaja Family has been making wine since 1856, but their Promis is a more recent wine consisting of 55% Merlot, 35% Syrah, and 10% Sangiovese. From South Africa, Ken Forrester purchased the estate only in 1993, but the vines in his Old Vines Reserve Chenin Blanc are nearly 40 years old.
In red wines, the Les Halos de Jupiter is a blend of 85% Grenache and 15% Syrah and will be widely available as it is one of the Wines of the Month, while the Chateauneuf-du-Pape is a blend of 60% Grenache, 25% Syrah, 10% Mourvèdre, and 5% Cinsault. The Rosso di Montalcino is considered to be a "Baby Brunello" and is made with 100% Sangiovese, with the Portugese red is a blend of local varietals Aragonês, Trincadeira, and Alicante Bouschet. From Argentina, the Chakana blend is mostly Malbec, but also contains 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Cabernet Franc.
For sweet wine lovers, the Riesling from New Zealand will be your best bet. And if you like your Roses dry, the latest vintage of Mas des Bressades arrives with the usual blend consisting of mostly Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvèdre.
Enjoy my wine recommendations from this release! Cheers!
- SENORIO DE LA ANTIGUA MENCÍA 2012 - IGP Castilla y Léon, Spain (#481549) (XD) - $13.95
- LES HALOS DE JUPITER CÔTES DU RHÔNE 2014 - AC, Rhône, France (#276956) (XD) - $17.95
- LEONARDO DA VINCI ROSSO DI MONTALCINO 2011 - DOC, Tuscany, Italy (#451419) (XD) - $18.95
- HEARTLAND CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2013 - Langhorne Creek, South Australia (#058099) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- PAULO LAUREANO RESERVE TINTO 2014 - Vidigueira, DOC Alentejo, Portugal (#488775) (XD) - $19.95
- CATENA APPELLATION PARAJE ALTAMIRA MALBEC 2014 - Single Vineyard, Mendoza, Argentina (#492413) (XD) - $22.95
- CHAKANA ESTATE SELECTION RED BLEND 2014 - Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina (#322602) (D) - $24.95 reviewed here
- DOMAINE PIERRE USSEGLIO ET FILS CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2013 - AC, Rhône, France (#381079) (XD) - $47.95
- GAJA CA’ MARCANDA PROMIS 2014 - IGT Toscana, Italy (#745638) (XD) - $54.95 reviewed here
- LA LECCIAIA RISERVA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#241307) (XD) - $69.95 FSE
- FLAT ROCK UNPLUGGED CHARDONNAY 2015 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#068015) (XD) - $16.95
- GIESEN RIESLING 2014 - New Zealand (#277673) (MS) - $16.95
- KEN FORRESTER OLD VINE RESERVE CHENIN BLANC 2016 - WO Stellenbosch, South Africa (#231282) (XD) - $17.95
- MOMO SAUVIGNON BLANC 2015 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#009167) (XD) - $19.95
- DOMAINES SCHLUMBERGER LES PRINCES ABBÉS PINOT GRIS 2014 - AC Alsace, France (#021253) (D) - $21.95
- GUADO AL TASSO VERMENTINO 2015 - DOC Bolgheri, Tuscany, Italy (#177428) (XD) - $21.95 reviewed here
- KIM CRAWFORD WILD GRACE SMALL PARCELS CHARDONNAY 2015 - Hawkes Bay, North Island, New Zealand (#378604) (XD) - $24.95
- DOG POINT SAUVIGNON BLANC 2016 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#677450) (XD) - $24.95
- LOUIS MOREAU DOMAINE DE BIÉVILLE CHABLIS 2015 - AC, Burgundy, France (#106161) (XD) - $27.95
- GROTH HILLVIEW VINEYARD CHARDONNAY 2014 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#225672) (XD) - $57.95
- MAS DES BRESSADES CUVÉE TRADITION ROSÉ 2016 - AP Costières de Nîmes, Rhône, France (#950576) (XD) - $15.95
- DOW’S LBV PORT 2011 - DOP, Portugal (#533364) (S) - $19.95