Only three of the eighteen BBQ wines made my list of wine picks, and two of those are recommended for pairing with veggies. First up is the just off-dry (i.e. slightly sweet) 2013 Wildass Rosé that is made by Stratus Vineyards in Niagara and is a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon. Secondly is a Grenache, Syrah and Carignan blend from Château Saint-Roch in Midi that can be enjoyed over the next few years. And finally, the dry Small Gully Australian Shiraz is recommended for pairing with Smoky Baby Back Ribs, but I would say it can also go with beef, lamb, or other red meats off the BBQ.
Two wines from the secondary feature on cool-climate Chardonnay made my list below. Chardonnay tends to develop aromas and flavours of the produce grown in its surrounding climate. In cool climates, that tends to be crisp apple, pear, peach, nectarine, citrus, and orchard blossoms. There are 3 main factors in determining whether or not a Chardonnay is considered "cool-climate":
- Latitude - The further away from the equator, the cooler the average temperatures
- Altitude - Vineyards high above sea level, including on mountainsides or towering slopes
- Maritime Influence - Large bodies of water, including lakes and oceans, have a moderating and cooling effect on vineyards
From the rest of the release, in red wines, the Crianza from Abad is made using the Mencía grape, while the Château de Panigon from the excellent 2010 Bordeaux vintage is a blend of 50% Merlot, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Petit Verdot. In white wines, the Pinot Bianco from Italy is made using the Pinot Blanc grape, which is actually a genetic mutation of the Pinot Noir grape. Also from Italy is the Fattori Motto Piane Soave that is made using 100% Garganega and was dried for 40 days - it shows some dried fruit notes, but is still dry (i.e. not sweet). And lastly, the dry rosé from E. Guigal is a blend of Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah, and Mourvèdre.
That's all for this week. Enjoy my wine recommendations for any BBQs you might have coming up. Cheers!
- ABAD DOM BUENO CRIANZA 2006 - DO Bierzo, Spain (#244699) (XD) - $14.95
- SMALL GULLY MR. BLACK’S LITTLE BOOK SHIRAZ 2011 - Barossa Valley, South Australia (#287979) (XD) - $17.95
- VIÑA TARAPACÁ GRAN RESERVA CARMENÈRE 2011 - Maipo Valley, Chile (#057513) (XD) - $17.95
- CHÂTEAU SAINT-ROCH CHIMÈRES 2011 - AC Côtes du Roussillon-Villages, Midi, France (#119354) (XD) - $18.95
- VIÑA COBOS FELINO MALBEC 2012 - Unfined, Mendoza, Argentina (#118067) (XD) - $19.95
- CHÂTEAU DE PANIGON 2010 - AC Médoc, Bordeaux, France (#348250) (XD) - $19.95
- CASTELLO DI GABBIANO CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA 2009 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#216309) (XD) - $22.95
- DEI VINO NOBILE DI MONTEPULCIANO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#285510) (XD) - $27.95
- RIDGE MONTE BELLO CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2011 - Santa Cruz Mountains, Central Coast, California, USA (XD) (#321174) (375 mL) - $85.95 or (#320945) (750 mL) - $159.95
- DR. PAULY-BERGWEILER RIESLING 2012 - Qualitätswein, Mosel, Germany (#596601) (M) - $13.95
- RABL LENGENLOIS GRÜNER VELTLINER 2012 - DAC Kamptal, Austria (#377457) (XD) - $16.95
- LE MONDE PINOT BIANCO 2012 - DOC Friuli Grave, Friuli, Italy (#372417) (XD) - $17.95
- ROCKWAY SMALL LOT BLOCK 12-150 RIESLING 2012 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#372441) (M) - $18.95
- MASTROBERARDINO GRECO DI TUFO 2012 - DOCG, Campania, Italy (#568105) (XD) - $20.95
- FATTORI MOTTO PIANE SOAVE 2011 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#380204) (XD) - $22.95
- CAVE SPRING CSV RIESLING 2011 - VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#566026) (M) - $29.95
- LE CLOS JORDANNE VILLAGE RESERVE CHARDONNAY 2011 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#033936) (XD) - $30.00
- DOMAINE DUBLÈRE SAVIGNY-LÈS-BEAUNE AUX VERGELESSES 1ER CRU 2011 - AC, Burgundy, France (#376095) (XD) - $58.95
- WILDASS ROSÉ 2013 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#071712) (D) - $17.95
- E. GUIGAL CÔTES DU RHÔNE ROSÉ 2013 - AC, Rhone, France (#225003) (XD) - $16.95
- CROOKED PINE LATE HARVEST VIDAL 2012 - VQA Ontario, Canada (#368738) (MS) (375 mL) - $17.95
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.