We'll begin with the wines from Australia. Of the 19 wines featured, 4 are included among my wine picks. Leading the pack is a dry sparkling wine from the island of Tasmania that is made in the classic Methode Traditionelle using Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. From the Eden Valley in South Australia is a dry Riesling (i.e. not sweet) for fans of the style. There's also a traditional Aussie blend of Shiraz/Cabernet from Salomon Wines. Lastly, there is an interesting and unconventional blend of 64% Shiraz, 13% Tempranillo, 12% Mourvèdre and 11% Grenache from Barossa. It's interesting to note that each of the still table wines from Australia in this release are bottled under screw cap.
The mini-theme of award-winning Ontario wines is very small - featuring just 5 wines. However, two of the five wines are among my wine recommendations. First up is the off-dry (i.e. slightly sweet) Thirty Bench Riesling that is a VINTAGES Essential product, while the second wine is a Gamay that won the Lieutenant Governor's Award in 2015.
Among my red wine picks from the rest of the release is a blend of Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo) and Jaen (Mencía) from high-altitude vines in Portugal. From neighbouring Spain is the Palacios Remondo Propiedad that is 100% Garnacha (Grenache). A pair of delightful Southern Rhône wines include a Gigondas that is blended with 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah, while the Châteauneuf-du-Pape is 95% Grenache (and 5% other varieties) from vines that are more than 100 years old. Lastly, the Brunello is 100% Sangiovese Grosso and the Savigny-lès-Beaune is 100% Pinot Noir.
In white wines, there is a wide array of varietals and styles to choose from. Starting at the dry end are wines made with Vernaccia, Grüner Veltliner, Sauvignon Blanc, and a pair of Chardonnays. There is also a Grasevina from Croatia that commonly goes by the name Welschriesling, but is unrelated to the (Rhine) Riesling that we know and love. Just off-dry (i.e. slightly sweet) is an Alsatian Pinot Gris, while going up a couple of more notches into medium-sweet territory is the Rosehall Run Riesling.
Enjoy my wine picks from this release. Cheers!
- BEYRA VINHOS DE ALTITUDE RESERVA 2012 - DOC Beira Interior, Portugal (#429043) (XD) - $15.95
- CALITERRA TRIBUTO CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2013 - Single Vineyard, Colchagua Valley, Chile (#205567) (D) - $16.95
- LAYERS SHIRAZ/TEMPRANILLO/MOURVÈDRE/GRENACHE 2012 - Barossa, South Australia (#138883) (D) - $17.95
- CREEKSIDE ESTATE QUEENSTON ROAD PINOT NOIR 2014 - VQA St. David’s Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#415877) (D) - $18.95
- PELLER ESTATES PRIVATE RESERVE GAMAY NOIR 2013 - VQA Four Mile Creek, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#444745) (XD) - $19.95
- SALOMON NORWOOD SHIRAZ/CABERNET 2012 - South Australia (#438234) (XD) - $20.95
- LA FERME DU MONT CÔTES JUGUNDA GIGONDAS 2013 - Unfiltered, AP, Rhône, France (#354118) (XD) - $29.95 reviewed here
- PALACIOS REMONDO PROPIEDAD 2011 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#438671) (XD) - $39.95
- ABBADIA ARDENGA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#672337) (XD) - $49.95 FSE
- RAYMOND USSEGLIO CUVÉE IMPÉRIALE CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2012 - Unfiltered, AC, Rhône, France (#022319) (XD) - $57.95
- DOMAINE PAVELOT AUX GRAVAINS SAVIGNY-LES-BEAUNE 1 ER CRU 2013 - AC, Burgundy, France (#206136) (XD) - $59.95
- TERUZZI & PUTHOD VERNACCIA DI SAN GIMIGNANO 2014 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#316976) (XD) - $16.95
- THIRTY BENCH RIESLING 2013 - VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#024133) (D) - $18.95
- YEALANDS ESTATE SINGLE VINEYARD GRÜNER VELTLINER 2014 - Awatere Valley, South Island, New Zealand (#415133) (XD) - $19.95 FSE
- MOUNTADAM RIESLING 2013 - Eden Valley, South Australia (#288266) (XD) - $19.95
- ROSEHALL RUN RIGHTEOUS DUDE RIESLING 2014 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#426486) (M) - $19.95 reviewed here
- ILOCKI PODRUMI PREMIUM GRASEVINA 2013 - Hrvatsko Podunavlje, Croatia (#369421) (XD) - $21.95
- TRIMBACH RÉSERVE PINOT GRIS 2012 - AC Alsace, France (#971762) (D) - $23.95
- GREYWACKE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#164228) (XD) - $23.95 reviewed here
- BÉJOT LES BOUCHOTS MONTAGNY 1 ER CRU 2013 - AC, Burgundy, France (#438002) (XD) - $27.95
- LE CLOS JORDANNE CLAYSTONE TERRACE CHARDONNAY 2012 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#056929) (XD) - $40.00 FSE