We'll begin with the main feature on bubbly that has 16 sparkling wines, 5 of which are included among my wine picks. If you prefer your sparklers to be extra dry (i.e. not sweet), look for Chile's first organic sparkling wine that is a 77/23 blend of Chardonnay/Pinot Noir. Also extra dry, and more Pinot (82%) than Chardonnay (18%) is leads us to a rosé sparkling wine from South Africa. Single varietal sparkling wines with a hint sweetness, from less sweet to more sweet, include a Chardonnay from Burgundy, a Sauvignon Blanc, and a Riesling, the latter two which are from Ontario.
The first mini-theme of 6 wines focuses on California Zinfandel. I'm not a big fan of Zinfandel, but if there's one wine I would add to my cellar, it would be the Ridge Lytton Springs from Sonoma County that, in addition to 74% Zinfandel, also includes 16% Petite Sirah, 8% Carignan and 2% Mataro (aka Mourvèdre). This is a wine to put away for at least a couple of years and enjoy into the 2030's.
Only one selection from the Father's Day mini-theme made my list of wine picks. It's a beautiful Brunello di Montalcino (100% Sangiovese) from Tenuta La Fuga, from the great 2010 vintage.
From the rest of the release, the Chinon is made with Cabernet Franc, while the Chianti Classico is 90% Sangiovese and 10% Canaiolo. Creekside's Laura's Red (45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 28% Merlot, 21% Cabernet Franc, 3% Syrah, 2% Malbec, and 1% Petit Verdot) returns to VINTAGES with another year under it's belt. From Rhône, there are two fabulous reds: the Vacqueyras is a blend of Grenache and Syrah, while the Gigondas is mostly Grenache with Syrah and Mourvèdre adding texture.
In white wines, the Muscadet Sevre-et-Maine is an extra dry wine made using the Melon de Bourgogne grape. If you like your wines on the sweet side, take a look at a pair of Ontario Rieslings, or go even sweeter with a Riesling Spätlese from Germany.
Enjoy my wine recommendations for this week. Cheers!
- SERGE ET BRUNO SOURDAIS CHINON 2014 - AC, Loire, France (#451898) (XD) - $16.95
- UGGIANO PRESTIGE CHIANTI CLASSICO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#454553) (XD) - $16.95
- CONCHA Y TORO SERIE RIBERAS GRAN RESERVA CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2014 - Ribera del Tinguiririca, Marchigue, Central Valley, Chile (#256693) (D) - $17.95
- CREEKSIDE ESTATE LAURA’S RED 2012 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#117960) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- KAIKEN ULTRA MALBEC 2013 - Mendoza, Argentina (#050849) (D) - $19.95
- CONCHA Y TORO TERRUNYO PEUMO VINEYARD BLOCK 27 CARMENÈRE 2012 - Entre Cordilleras, Peumo, Cachapoal Valley, Chile (#562892) (XD) - $29.95 reviewed here
- FOREST HILL ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2011 - Great Southern, Western Australia (#380840) (XD) - $29.95
- DOMAINE LA FOURMONE LE POÈTE VACQUEYRAS 2013 - AP, Rhône, France (#452268) (XD) - $29.95
- OLIVIER & LAFONT GIGONDAS 2013 - AC, Rhône, France (#452300) (XD) - $29.95
- TENUTA LA FUGA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#212837) (XD) - $42.95
- RIDGE LYTTON SPRINGS 2013 - Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County, California, USA (#982413) (XD) - $57.95
- MICHEL DELHOMMEAU CUVÉE HARMONIE SUR LIE MUSCADET SÈVRE-ET-MAINE 2013 - AC, Loire, France (#164624) (XD) - $16.95
- TAWSE SKETCHES OF NIAGARA RIESLING 2014 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#089029) (M) - $17.95
- CAVE SPRING ESTATE BOTTLED CHARDONNAY 2013 - Cave Spring Vineyard, VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#256552) (XD) - $18.95
- WEINRIEDER KLASSIK GRÜNER VELTLINER 2013 - Niederösterreich, Austria (#446641) (XD) - $18.95
- ST. PAULS PINOT GRIGIO 2014 - DOC Südtirol/Alto Adige, Italy (#391870) (XD) - $19.95
- CASA LAPOSTOLLE CUVÉE ALEXANDRE CHARDONNAY 2013 - Atalayas Vineyard, Casablanca Valley, Chile (#947937) (XD) - $24.95
- SERESIN SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#735043) (XD) - $24.95
- FLAT ROCK NADJA’S VINEYARD RIESLING 2015 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#578625) (M) - $24.95
- DR. HEIDEMANNS-BERGWEILER GRAACHER HIMMELREICH RIESLING SPÄTLESE 2013 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#339150) (S) - $26.95
- JEAN DAUVISSAT VAILLONS VIEILLES VIGNES CHABLIS 1ER CRU 2009 - AC, Burgundy, France (#457002) (XD) - $49.95 FSE
- EMILIANA ORGANIC BRUT SPARKLING - Charmat method, Casablanca Valley, Chile (#451914) (XD) - $15.95
- TAWSE SPARK LIMESTONE RIDGE SPARKLING RIESLING 2014 - Méthode Traditionnelle, VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#370361) (D) - $19.95
- GRAHAM BECK BRUT ROSÉ 2010 - WO Western Cape, Méthode Cap Classique, South Africa (#004085) (XD) - $21.95
- CREEKSIDE BACKYARD BUBBLY SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013 - Méthode Traditionnelle, VQA Creek Shores, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#398628) (D) - $24.95
- BAILLY-LAPIERRE BRUT CRÉMANT DE BOURGOGNE - Méthode Traditionnelle, AC, Burgundy, France (#369066) (D) - $24.95