We'll begin with the trendy wine feature. Only 1 of the 17 wines listed in this thematic is included in my wine picks. It is the refreshing Vermentino from Sardinia that has just a kiss of sweetness - ideal for the remaining hot days of August.
The tiny German feature lists only 5 wines. However, 2 are included among my wine picks. Both of my German Riesling recommendations are on the sweeter side, with the Schloss Schönborn being sweeter than the Thörle Riesling. If you're a Riesling fan, you should pick up both of these.
In the Local Talent feature, Price Edward County is the theme and offers an excellent (albeit mini) glimpse into the region with 4 wines listed. Three of the wines are included in my wine picks - Norm Hardie's Pinot Noir, the Closson Chase Chardonnay, and a sparkling wine from Lighthall Vineyards. The sparkling wine is designated VQA Ontario, but, in fact, all the fruit (100% Vidal) is sourced from their own vineyards in The County.
From the rest of the release, the Old Vines Spanish red is a blend of Garnacha from 70+ year old vines, plus 15% Syrah, while the Rigoleto Tuscan red is a blend of 70% Sangiovese, 15% Ciliegiolo, and 15% Montepulciano. The Portuguese red wine is an unoaked blend of Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, and Touriga Nacional and comes from an estate whose story goes back more than 250 years. The mature 2005 Ontañón Gran Reserva is mostly Tempranillo with 5% Graciano added. Lastly, the Zuccardi Malbec is an interesting wine in that it was entirely fermented and aged in concrete tanks to showcase the fruit, and only available at Flagship Stores (FSE).
In white wines, the Burgundian wines are all Chardonnays above $20. The Italian white wines are under $20 and include the Soave, which is an organic wine made with 100% Garganega, a Greco from Campania, and the aforementioned Vermentino. There is also the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
Lastly, the dry rosé wine from Rhône is a blend of mostly Grenache, Syrah, and Cinsault.
Enjoy my wine picks from this release! Prost!
- CELLER DE CAPÇANES MAS DONÍS BARRICA OLD VINES 2014 - DO Montsant, Spain (#705863) (XD) - $17.95
- CASTELLO COLLEMASSARI RIGOLETO MONTECUCCO ROSSO 2013 - DOC, Tuscany, Italy (#455501) (XD) - $17.95
- CASAS DEL TOQUI TERROIR SELECTION GRAN RESERVA PINOT NOIR 2012 - Casablanca Valley, Chile (#443499) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- QUINTA NOVA DE NOSSA SENHORA DO CARMO COLHEITA TINTO 2011 - DOC Douro, Portugal (#452748) (XD) - $19.95
- PASCUAL TOSO RESERVE MALBEC 2013 - Barrancas Vineyards, Mendoza, Argentina (#183897) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here
- WAIMEA PINOT NOIR 2014 - Nelson, South Island, New Zealand (#447508) (XD) - $22.95
- MAZZEI FONTERUTOLI CHIANTI CLASSICO 2013 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#977629) (D) - $25.95 reviewed here
- ONTAÑÓN GRAN RESERVA 2005 - DOC Rioja, Spain (#939736) (XD) - $39.95
- ZUCCARDI CONCRETO MALBEC 2014 - Paraje Altamira, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina (#455774) (XD) - $39.95 FSE
- NORMAN HARDIE COUNTY UNFILTERED PINOT NOIR 2014 - VQA Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada (#125310) (XD) - $45.20
- LA CAPPUCCINA SOAVE 2014 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#081489) (D) - $15.95
- SCHLOSS SCHÖNBORN RIESLING 2011 - Rheingau, Germany (#653535) (MS) - $16.95 reviewed here
- THORNBURY SAUVIGNON BLANC 2015 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#734798) (XD) - $18.95
- THÖRLE FEINHERB RIESLING 2015 - Rheinhessen, Germany (#420091) (M) - $18.95 reviewed here
- CONTINI PARIGLIA VERMENTINO DI SARDEGNA 2014 - DOC, Sardinia, Italy (#455238) (D) - $18.95
- MASTROBERARDINO GRECO DI TUFO 2014 - DOCG, Campania, Italy (#568105) (XD) - $19.95
- JEAN-MARC BROCARD DOMAINE SAINTE CLAIRE CHABLIS 2014 - AC, Burgundy, France (#356634) (XD) - $23.95
- ANDRÉ GOICHOT LES GUIGNOTTES MONTAGNY 2014 - AC, Burgundy, France (#455139) (XD) - $26.95
- CLOSSON CHASE VINEYARD CHARDONNAY 2014 - VQA Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada (#148866) (XD) - $29.00 reviewed here
- JEAN COLLET & FILS MONTÉE DE TONNERRE CHABLIS 1 ER CRU 2014 - AC, Burgundy, France (#405720) (XD) - $37.95
- DELAS SAINT-ESPRIT CÔTES-DU-RHÔNE ROSÉ 2015 - AC, Rhône, France (#224964) (XD) - $16.95