The Tuscany thematic features only 8 wines, but 2 are included among my wine picks and both are top tier wines. The Gran Selezione Chianti Classico is a blend of 80% Sangiovese and 20% Malvasia Nera and Merlot, while the Brunello di Montalcino is from the excellent 2010 vintage and made with 100% Sangiovese.
From Rioja, Spain, there are 7 wines listed and 2 made my list of wine recommendations. The Crianza is a light-weighted red blend consisting of 85% Tempranillo and 15% Garnacha Tinta and Mazuelo. The other Rioja is also a blend made mostly with Tempranillo, but offers a more substantial mouthfeel in a refined, elegant package.
Wines for Thanksgiving include a barely off-dry (i.e. just slightly sweet) and ever versatile Riesling from Alsace, and a Pinot Noir from Ontario from the 6 wines that were highlighted in the Thanksgiving wines feature.
From the rest of the release in red wines, there is a Portuguese red blend (Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz) that is dry and firmly structured that should be bought and placed in your cellar for at least a couple of years to allow the tannins to soften. The Malbec comes from vines that are more than 80 years old and located 1,150 metres above sea-level. From Washington, the red blend consists of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 8% Syrah, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Malbec, while the lovely Châteauneuf-du-Pape is the usual blend of 30% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah, 10% Counoise, and 5% Cinsault.
In white wines, there is a surprising selection of fine Italian white wines, none of which are named Pinot Grigio. Instead, they are Soave (100% Garganega), Falanghina, and Arneis. There's also an aromatic white from Lebanon that is a blend of Chardonnay, Viognier, and Muscat d'Alexandrie. And lastly, the Loire white is 100% Chenin Blanc made in a semi-sweet style.
The sparkling wines among my wine picks include a Blanc de Blanc vintage sparkler from South Africa that's 100% Chardonnay, while the vintage Champagne is a blend of 54% Chardonnay and 46% Pinot Noir.
Enjoy my wine recommendations with your Thanksgiving feast. Cheers!
- CUNE RIOJA CRIANZA 2012 - DO Rioja, Spain (#039925) (XD) - $17.95
- QUINTA DA REDE RESERVA 2012 - DOC Douro, Portugal (#431742) (XD) - $17.95
- CONCHA Y TORO SERIE RIBERAS GRAN RESERVA CARMENÈRE 2014 - DO Peumo, Chile (#274043) (XD) - $17.95
- CREEKSIDE ESTATE QUEENSTON ROAD PINOT NOIR 2014 - VQA St. David’s Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#415877) (D) - $18.95
- ATAMISQUE CATALPA OLD VINES MALBEC 2013 - Tupungato, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina (#194126) (XD) - $19.95
- WATERKLOOF CIRCUMSTANCE SYRAH 2012 - WO Stellenbosch, South Africa (#455782) (XD) - $22.95
- BARÓN DE LEY GRAN RESERVA 2010 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#642496) (XD) - $29.95
- HEDGES FAMILY ESTATE RED 2012 - Red Mountain, Washington, USA (#001594) (XD) - $39.95 FSE
- CASTELLO DI AMA SAN LORENZO GRAN SELEZIONE CHIANTI CLASSICO 2011 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#418897) (XD) - $48.95
- RENATO RATTI MARCENASCO BAROLO 2011 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#713479) (XD) - $53.95
- HAMILTON RUSSELL PINOT NOIR 2015 - WO Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, Walker Bay, South Africa (#999516) (XD) - $57.95
- FLOWERS PINOT NOIR 2014 - Sonoma Coast, California, USA (#215202) (XD) - $68.95 FSE
- POGGIO SAN POLO BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#650812) (XD) - $74.95
- CHÂTEAU DE BEAUCASTEL CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2014 - AC, Rhone, France (#711317) (XD) - $89.95
- SAN RAFFAELE MONTE TABOR SOAVE 2015 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#277392) (XD) - $14.95
- TEANUM ALTA FALANGHINA 2014 - IGT Puglia, Italy (#161653) (XD) - $15.95
- KUHLMANN-PLATZ RIESLING 2014 - AC Alsace, France (#196741) (D) - $16.95
- HENRY OF PELHAM ESTATE RIESLING 2013 - VQA Short Hills Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#557165) (D) - $17.95
- DOMAINE DES TOURELLES WHITE 2015 - Bekaa Valley, Lebanon (#447169) (XD) - $19.95
- CORDERO DI MONTEZEMOLO ARNEIS LANGHE 2015 - DOC, Piedmont, Italy (#455162) (XD) - $21.95
- SOUTHBROOK TRIOMPHE CHARDONNAY 2014 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#172338) (XD) - $22.95 reviewed here
- DOMAINE LOEW VÉRITÉ SYLVANER 2013 - AC Alsace, France (#462598) - $25.95 FSE
- DOMAINE DES CHESNAIES CÔTEAUX DU LAYON 2014 - AC, Loire, France (#456129) (MS) - $27.95
- DOMAINE LATOUR-GIRAUD LES NARVAUX MEURSAULT 2013 - AC, Burgundy, France (#012369) (XD) - $74.00 FSE