From the California focus, just 2 of the 18 wines are included among my wine picks. There is a fine 2013 Napa Chardonnay, while the 2014 vintage brings us a mostly Zinfandel blend that also contains 24% Carignane, 12% Petite Sirah, and 4% Mataro (Mourvèdre) using some vines that are more than 130 years old.
The small selection of Nebbiolo wines is very good, with half of the wines included among my wine recommendations. From the Langhe DOC in Piedmont, the Sottimano is 100% Nebbiolo, while the Rocche dei Manzoni is from the excellent 2010 vintage and consists of 80% Nebbiolo and 20% Barbera. No talk about Nebbiolo is complete without mentioning Barolo, and the wine from Gianni Gagliardo is a stunner to be cellared for at least a couple of years.
Among other red wines, both Portuguese reds are blends, while the Fitou is a blend of Carignan, Grenache and Syrah. The Bordeaux red is a blend of 63% Cabernet Sauvignon and 37% Merlot, while the Bolgheri is a blend of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 18% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Petit Verdot. Lastly, the latest Beaucastel CdP is a blend of mostly Grenache and Mourvèdre.
In white wines, the Saint-Roch is a blend of 80% Grenache Blanc and 20% Roussanne. For sweet wine lovers, in order from least sweet to most sweet Riesling, there are wines from Ontario's neighbours Mike Weir and Fielding, and from Germany the Paul Anheuser and Dr. Loosen Riesling Kabinetts.
After having tasted some amazingly sweet PX (Pedro Ximenez) at the recent Spain Is Wine tasting, I am in absolute awe of this fortified style of wine. As luck would have it, a quality PX from Osborne will be available as part of this release.
Enjoy my wine picks from this release. Cheers!
- LUA CHEIA OLD VINES RED 2014 - DOC Douro, Portugal (#266882) (XD) - $13.95
- DOMAINE GALAMAN FITOU 2013 - AP, Midi, France (#395467) (XD) - $14.95 reviewed here
- 3C PREMIUM SELECTION CARIÑENA 2013 - DO Cariñena, Spain (#461350) (XD) - $14.95
- HERDADE DO ROCIM 2012 - Vinho Regional Alentejano, Portugal (#423574) (D) - $17.95
- DE BORTOLI G.S. PINOT NOIR 2015 - Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia (#015511) (XD) - $19.95
- SOUTHBROOK TRIOMPHE CABERNET FRANC 2013 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#275958) (D) - $21.95 reviewed here
- SOTTIMANO LANGHE NEBBIOLO 2013 - DOC, Piedmont, Italy (#454017) (XD) - $29.95
- SOLÉNA HYLAND PINOT NOIR 2012 - Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA (#462986) (XD) - $35.95
- ROCCHE DEI MANZONI BRICCO MANZONI LANGHE ROSSO 2010 - DOC, Piedmont, Italy (#459651) (XD) - $38.95
- GIANNI GAGLIARDO BAROLO 2011 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#713602) (XD) - $54.95
- RIDGE GEYSERVILLE 2014 - Alexander Valley, Sonoma County, California, USA (#723072) (XD) - $63.95
- SÉGLA 2010 - Second wine of Château Rauzan-Ségla, AC Margaux, Bordeaux, France (#359810) (XD) - $64.95
- MASI SEREGO ALIGHIERI VAIO ARMARON AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2011 - DOCG, Veneto, Italy (#462812) (D) - $84.95
- CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE CHÂTEAU DE BEAUCASTEL 2014 - AC, Rhône, France (#711317) (XD) - $89.95
- ANTINORI GUADO AL TASSO 2013 - DOC Bolgheri Superiore, Tuscany, Italy (#986380) (XD) - $104.95
- SAINT-ROCH VIEILLES VIGNES CÔTES DU ROUSSILLON 2015 - AP, Midi, France (#175232) (XD) - $15.95
- PAUL ANHEUSER SCHLOSSBÖCKELHEIMER KÖNIGSFELS RIESLING KABINETT 2015 - Estate Bottled, Prädikatswein, Nahe, Germany (#161828) (MS) - $17.95
- MOUNT BROWN ESTATES PINOT GRIS 2015 - Waipara Valley, South Island, New Zealand (#466037) (XD) - $18.95
- MIKE WEIR LIMITED EDITION RIESLING 2014 - VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#229286) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here
- FIELDING ESTATE BOTTLED RIESLING 2015 - VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#251439) (M) - $19.95
- DR. LOOSEN BLUE SLATE RIESLING KABINETT 2015 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#160846) (MS) - $22.95
- SPERLING CHARDONNAY 2014 - BC VQA Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada (#378570) (XD) - $29.95 FSE
- HAMILTON RUSSELL CHARDONNAY 2015 - WO Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, South Africa (#931006) (XD) - $42.95
- JEAN-MARC BROCARD BUTTEAUX CHABLIS 1ER CRU 2014 - AC, Burgundy, France (#294165) (XD) - $46.95 FSE
- NEWTON UNFILTERED CHARDONNAY 2013 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#001537) (XD) - $68.95
- OSBORNE PEDRO XIMENEZ 1827 - DOP, Spain (#047944) (S) - $17.95