We'll begin with the main feature on wines from sunny Mediterranean countries such as Italy, Spain, Greece and Croatia. Even though this is the main feature, it only lists 8 wines. On the bright side, 3 of the 8 wines are included among my top wine picks. From Italy, there is a nice, clean and lively Fiano from the sunny climes of Campania in southwestern Italy. Also from Italy is a lovely blend of local varietals Nerello Mascalese (95%) and Nerello Cappuccio (5%) from the island of Sicily in southern Italy - the grapes for this wine come from the volcanic soils on the northern slopes of Mount Etna. The third and final wine from the main theme is the Jaspi Negre (Black Jade) and consists of 45% Grenache, 25% Carignan, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 15% Syrah from vines that are as much as 90 years old.
Likewise, the mini-theme of Aussie whites for Spring sipping lists only 7 wines, but 3 are included among my wine recommendations. First up is a premium off-dry Riesling with bright acids. Meanwhile, the Tournon Mathilda is a blend of Viognier and Marsanne, while the Alkoomi is a blend of 67% Semillon and 33% Sauvignon Blanc.
Other whites in this release include the Bordeaux Blanc that's a blend of 55% Sauvignon Blanc and 45% Sémillon, the Muscadet Sèvre & Maine that is made with the Melon de Bourgogne varietal, and the 1er Cru Chablis is a lightly oaked Chardonnay.
In red wines from France, the Château de Tréviac is a blend of Syrah and Grenache, and the Château Beau-Site is a blend of mostly Cabernet Sauvignon and some Merlot. In the Riojas from Spain, the Lealtanza is 100% Tempranillo, while the Muga Rioja is a blend of 80% Tempranillo and 20% Garnacha / Mazuelo / Graciano. And lastly, the Napa Cab is actually a blend of 77% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Cabernet Franc, 9% Merlot, 1% Malbec, 1% Petite Verdot, and 1% Syrah.
Enjoy my wine picks from this release! Cheers!
- BOUTARI NAOUSSA XINOMAVRO 2014 - PDO Naoussa, Greece (#023218) (XD) - $13.95 reviewed here
- ECHEVERRIA GRAN RESERVA PINOT NOIR 2014 - Leyda Valley, Chile (#485284) (XD) - $15.95
- CHÂTEAU DE TRÉVIAC 2014 - AP Corbières, Midi, France (#670505) (XD) - $16.95
- RUCA MALEN RESERVA MALBEC 2013 - Mendoza, Argentina (#482778) (XD) - $17.95
- JASPI NEGRE 2013 - DO Montsant, Spain (#481085) (XD) - $17.95
- TORNATORE NERELLO MASCALESE 2014 - DOC Etna Rosso, Sicily, Italy (#487090) (XD) - $21.95
- LEALTANZA SELECCIÓN DE FAMILIA RESERVA 2009 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#472704) (XD) - $29.95 FSE
- CLOSSON CHASE CLOSSON CHASE VINEYARD PINOT NOIR 2014 - VQA Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada (#145888) (XD) - $29.95 FSE reviewed here
- CHÂTEAU BEAU-SITE 2011 - AC Saint-Estèphe, Bordeaux, France (#967844) (XD) - $44.95
- SEQUOIA GROVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2013 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#060020) (XD) - $64.95
- MUGA PRADO ENEA GRAN RESERVA 2009 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#743310) (XD) - $57.95 FSE
- ALKOOMI WHITE LABEL SÉMILLON/SAUVIGNON BLANC 2016 - Frankland River, Western Australia (#428383) (XD) - $16.95
- LA GRIFFE BERNARD CHÉREAU MUSCADET SÈVRE & MAINE 2015 - Sur Lie, AP, Loire, France (#948182) (XD) - $16.95
- PORCONERO FIANO 2015 - IGP Campania, Italy (#485201) (XD) - $16.95
- LÉGENDE BORDEAUX BLANC 2015 - AC Bordeaux, France (#479808) (XD) - $17.95
- M. CHAPOUTIER TOURNON MATHILDA 2014 - Victoria, Australia (#401398) (XD) - $17.95
- ATTEMS PINOT GRIGIO 2015 - IGT Venezia Giulia, Venezia, Italy (#707950) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here
- SACRED HILL RESERVE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2016 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#490326) (XD) - $21.95
- MITCHELL WATERVALE RIESLING 2014 - Clare Valley, South Australia (#487785) (D) - $21.95
- CHANSON PÈRE ET FILS MONTMAINS CHABLIS 1ER CRU 2013 - AC, Burgundy, France (#485318) (XD) - $44.95
- JACQUESSON CUVÉE NO. 739 EXTRA BRUT CHAMPAGNE - AC, France (#234120) (XD) - $72.95