There are 27 wines featured in the "wines for holiday feasts" thematic and 4 are included among my wine picks. Begin the feast with something off-dry (i.e. slightly sweet) such as the Tawse Sparkling Riesling. In white wines, the Lugana has a hint of sweetnes and is made with Trebbiano di Lugana (a.k.a. Verdicchio), while the Fumé Blanc is a locally made Sauvignon Blanc that is barrel-fermented in oak barrels. To finish off your holiday feast is a 10-year-old Tawny Port that is sourced from old vines.
A small selection of Champagne is featured in this release for toasting in the New Year, of which only one Champagne made my list of wine picks. That single sparkler is the dry Grand Cru Champagne from Henri Giraud which is a blend of 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay. Fortunately, there are quite a few other delightful (and more affordable) sparkling wines offered in this release, such as the Tawse Sparkling Riesling mentioned above. Other options include slightly sweet sparkling wines from Henry of Pelham (100% Chardonnay) and Louis Bouillot (Chardonnay-based blend). Lastly, there is a bone-dry sparkling wine from Lombardy, Italy that is made with 75% Chardonnay, 15% Pinot Nero and 10% Pinot Bianco.
Among red wines, there are plenty of options in this release, including the organic 85/15 Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend from Emiliana. At 10 years old, the Spanish red wine is nicely aged for you and made using 60% Garnacha, 30% Tempranillo, and 10% Carinena, while somewhat younger is the Sicilian red wine that is a blend of 90% Nero d'Avola and 10% Cab Sauv. The Portuguese red is a blend of traditional indigenous varietals Touriga Nacional, Alfrocheiro, and Tinta Roriz. Lastly, the Barbaresco is 100% Nebbiolo.
For sweet wine lovers, look for the Gewürztraminer from either Germany or France, or the Tokaji from Hungary.
Enjoy my wine recommendations over the holidays!
- EMILIANA NOVAS GRAN RESERVA CABERNET SAUVIGNON/MERLOT 2013 - Maipo Valley, Chile (#437947) (XD) - $15.95
- MONASTERIO DE LAS VIÑAS GRAN RESERVA 2005 - DOP Cariñena, Spain (#082024) (XD) - $16.95
- LORNANO CHIANTI CLASSICO 2011 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#211599) (D) - $17.95
- CABRIZ RESERVA 2012 - DOC Dão, Portugal (#021410) (XD) - $17.95
- ORESTIADI LUDOVICO 2009 - IGT Rosso Sicilia, Italy (#388645) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here
- DOMAINE KARYDAS XINOMAVRO 2010 - PDO Naoussa, Greece (#272013) (XD) - $25.95
- BAROSSA VALLEY ESTATE EBENEZER SHIRAZ 2008 - Barossa Valley, South Australia (#971705) (D) - $39.95
- CATENA ALTA MALBEC 2012 - Mendoza, Argentina (#982355) (D) - $49.95 reviewed here
- STONESTREET CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2012 - Alexander Valley, Sonoma County, California, USA (#435099) (XD) - $52.95
- PUNSET BARBARESCO 2010 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#302786) (XD) - $55.95 FSE
- CHÂTEAU LA CROIX DU CASSE 2010 - AC Pomerol, Bordeaux, France (#436097) (XD) - $59.95
- ZENATO SAN BENEDETTO LUGANA 2014 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#707158) (D) - $16.95
- RUPPERTSBERGER LINSENBUSCH GEWÜRZTRAMINER SPÄTLESE 2014 - Prädikatswein, Pfalz, Germany (#320473) (S) - $17.95 reviewed here
- WYNNS COONAWARRA ESTATE CHARDONNAY 2014 - Coonawarra, South Australia (#468728) (XD) - $17.95
- WITHER HILLS SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - Wairau Valley, Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#919514) (D) - $19.95
- DOMAINE ZINCK PINOT BLANC 2014 - AC Alsace, France (#435040) (XD) - $19.95
- MOUNTADAM ESTATE CHARDONNAY 2013 - High Eden, Eden Valley, South Australia (#333211) (XD) - $23.95
- PIERRE SPARR MAMBOURG GEWURZTRAMINER 2013 - AC Alsace Grand Cru, France (#915157) (MS) - $24.95
- HIDDEN BENCH FUMÉ BLANC 2013 - Rosomel Vineyard, VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#068825) (XD) - $27.95
- DOMAINE HAMELIN BEAUROY CHABLIS 1 ER CRU 2012 - AC, Burgundy, France (#391805) (XD) - $33.95 reviewed here
- JERMANN CHARDONNAY 2014 - IGT Venezia Giulia, Friuli, Italy (#429902) (XD) - $34.95
- CHÂTEAU DERESZLA 5 PUTTONYOS TOKAJI ASZÚ 2008 - Hungary (#012203) (S) (500 mL) - $45.95
- LOUIS BOUILLOT PERLE D’IVOIRE BRUT BLANC DE BLANCS CRÉMANT DE BOURGOGNE - Méthode Traditionnelle, AC, Burgundy, France (#048801) (D) - $19.95
- TAWSE SPARK LIMESTONE RIDGE SPARKLING RIESLING 2013 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#370361) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here
- CA’ DEL BOSCO CUVÉE PRESTIGE BRUT FRANCIACORTA - DOCG, Lombardy, Italy (#105353) (XD) - $39.95
- HENRY OF PELHAM CUVÉE CATHARINE CARTE BLANCHE ESTATE BLANC DE BLANC 2010 - Méthode Traditionnelle, VQA Short Hills Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#315200) (D) - $44.95
- HENRI GIRAUD HOMMAGE FRANÇOIS HÉMART AŸ GRAND CRU CHAMPAGNE - AC, France (#436071) (XD) - $79.95
- BURMESTER 10-YEAR-OLD TAWNY PORT - DOP, Portugal (#223958) (S) - $28.95