We'll begin with the feature on Bordeaux that lists 11 wines, 3 of which are included among my wine picks. From Médoc and Fronsac are a pair of wines from outstanding 2010 Bordeaux vintage - both are Bordeaux blends, with the Fronsac wine consisting of 80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. Also from the 2010 vintage is the Margaux Grande Cru Classé that is a blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon and 16% Merlot. The 2012 Bois Chantant is also mostly Merlot (79%), with 11% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10% Cabernet Franc added to round out the blend.
The fact that the majority of Bordeaux wines are blends is a nice segue into the mini-thematic - the art of the blend. This feature lists 8 wines, none of which are from Bordeaux, and only 1 wine is included in my wine recommendations. The vintage Champagne is a blend of 40% Chardonnay, 37% Pinot Noir, and 23% Pinot Meunier.
In red wines, we have a lovely blend Touriga Nacional, Jaen, and Alfrocheiro blend from Portugal - a wine region where most wines are blends. Surprisingly, the Châteauneuf-du-Pape is 100% Grenache from vines that are 80-100 years old. The dry (i.e. not sweet) Amarone is a blend of 60% Corvina, 30% Rondinella, and 10% Molinara. Last, but not definitely not the least, is the Solaia that is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Sangiovese, and 5% Cabernet Franc.
Among my white wine picks, the Greek wine is a blend of 50/50 blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Roditis, while the Sancerre is strictly Sauvignon Blanc. The sparkling Cava is a blend of local varietals Macabeo (67%) and Parellada (33%).
Enjoy my wine picks from this release! Cheers!
- VIÑA TARAPACÁ GRAN RESERVA CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2013 - DO Maipo Valley, Chile (#018721) (XD) - $17.95
- LAPILLI BENEVENTANO AGLIANICO 2014 - IGT, Campania, Italy (#472696) (XD) - $17.95
- CHÂTEAU HAUT-CANTELOUP 2010 - AC Médoc, Bordeaux, France (#466565) (XD) - $17.95
- CHÂTEAU DU BOIS CHANTANT CUVÉE LAURENCE H. 2012 - AP Bordeaux Supérieur, France (#421206) (XD) - $18.95
- NIEPOORT DÃO RÓTULO RED 2013 - DOC Dão, Portugal (#452722) (XD) - $18.95
- CHAKANA ESTATE SELECTION MALBEC 2014 - Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina (#219261) (D) - $21.95 reviewed here
- CREEKSIDE ICONOCLAST SYRAH 2013 - VQA St. David’s Bench, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada (#471797) (XD) - $22.95 reviewed here
- CHÂTEAU HERVÉ-LAROQUE 2010 - AC Fronsac, Bordeaux, France (#446393) (XD) - $26.95
- MENDEL MALBEC 2013 - Mendoza, Argentina (#108225) (XD) - $29.95
- FATTORIA DEI BARBI BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2010 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#928028) (XD) - $53.95 reviewed here
- CHÂTEAU DURFORT-VIVENS 2010 - Second wine of Château Durfort-Vivens, AC Margaux, Grand Cru Classé, Bordeaux, France (#466540) (XD) - $54.95
- ZENI BARRIQUES AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2009 - DOCG, Veneto, Italy (#472688) (XD) - $59.95
- DOMAINE DE CRISTIA VIEILLES VIGNES CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2012 - AC, Rhône, France (#071381) (XD) - $107.00 FSE
- SOLAIA 2012 - IGT Toscana, Italy (#987586) (D) - $254.95
- SAN RAFFAELE MONTE TABOR PINOT GRIGIO 2015 - IGT Veneto, Italy (#204768) (XD) - $13.95 reviewed here
- KIR-YIANNI ESTATE WHITE 2015 - Samaropetra Vineyard, PGI Florina, Greece (#464511) - $17.95
- TYRRELL’S LOST BLOCK SEMILLON 2015 - Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia (#933200) (XD) - $17.95
- ST. PAULS CHARDONNAY 2014 - DOC Südtirol/Alto Adige, Italy (#455170) (XD) - $18.95
- ANDRÉ BLANCK & FILS ALTENBURG GEWÜRZTRAMINER 2015 - AC, Alsace, France (#168906) (M) - $19.95
- MASTROBERARDINO RADICI FIANO DI AVELLINO 2014 - DOCG, Campania, Italy (#323998) (XD) - $19.95
- HIDDEN BENCH ESTATE RIESLING 2014 - VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#183491) (D) - $23.75 reviewed here
- JEAN-MAX ROGER CUVÉE LES CAILLOTTES SANCERRE 2015 - AC, Loire, France (#065573) (XD) - $26.95 reviewed here
- WEINBACH CUVÉE LAURENCE GEWURZTRAMINER 2013 - AC Alsace, France (#581975) (M) - $64.00 FSE
- STONY HILL CHARDONNAY 2010 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#444471) (XD) - $71.00 FSE
- SEGURA VIUDAS BRUT RESERVA HEREDAD CAVA - Méthode traditionnelle, DO, Spain (#558825) (D) - $29.95
- MOËT & CHANDON GRAND VINTAGE BRUT CHAMPAGNE 2008 - AC, France (#069773) (D) - $89.95