First image of this post
  • Date publishedSunday, April 18, 2021

Bayle-Carreau Château Landreau 2016 (Bordeaux) - Wine Review



wine review is a lovely Right Bank Bordeaux that arrived at the LCBO for the first time this weekend as part of the LCBO VINTAGES Release.

It is produced Vignobles Bayle-Carreau, two families that have been cultivating vines in Bordeaux for more than 150 years. Both families share a passion for wine and excellence, with the Carreau family having profound knowledge of the vine that has been passed down from generation to generation, while the Bayle family has the expertise in winemaking.

The Carreau family's venture into viticulture began in 1852, while the Bayle family purchased their first estate in 1910. Bayle-Carreau was formed in 1952 when Jeanne-Marie, daughter of André Bayle, married Claude Carreau. With this union, the families combined their knowledge and expertise and further expanded their estates.

In 1955, the Bayle-Carreau family acquired Château Landreau, a property located on the first watershed of the Côtes de Bourg on the right bank of the Gironde estuary, around the town of Bourg-sur-Gironde, just northwest of the city of Bordeaux. The family restored and renovated Château Landreau after the property had ceased producing wine following the frost of 1956. The soils at Château Landreau consist of deep clay mixed with red gravel and has southwest exposure to the sun - conditions which are suitable for Merlot. With respect for the environment, Bayle-Carreau also practices sustainable viticulture at Château Landreau.

This red wine is from 14 hectare estate of Château Landreau and consists of 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon. It was fermented in stainless steel tanks, following by further ageing in tank for 6 months, then aged in oak barrels for 12 to 14 months prior to bottling. It is interesting to know that 95% of this wine is sold locally in Bordeaux, leaving just 5% for export markets. I would say we are quite fortunate to have this land in Ontario. From a remarkable vintage, let's see how this delicious Bordeaux is tasting tonight...

Bayle-Carreau Château Landreau 2016 (90 pts)

Tasting Note:

BAYLE-CARREAU CHÂTEAU LANDREAU 2016 - AC Côtes de Bourg, Bordeaux, France (#18535) (XD) - $20.95
This blend of 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon has a medium-high intensity nose that is rich and concentrated with aromas of ripe dark currant, dark plum, and savoury earth aromas with touches of wood, cassis, and herbs. It's medium-to-full bodied on the palate with flavours of black cherry, dark berry, plum, blackberry, currant, and cassis alongside subtle savoury earth and spice, plus spearmint notes adding further interest with time in the glass. It has fresh, balanced acidity and well-structured tannins that have a subtle chalky grip. Very good length with black cherry and hints of mineral on the finish. Drinking well now and should continue to develop nicely until the late '20s. Recommended buy. Score: 90 pts

Other lovely wines from Vignobles Bayle-Carreau can be ordered through their Agent - Connexion Oenophilia.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Posts by Tag

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget


  

Followers

Lists

OnToplist.com
BOTW Blogs - Vintages Wine Picks and Reviews
My Zimbio
Blogarama - Drinks & Beverages Blogs
Top Wine Sites
Wine blog
RSSChomp Blog Directory