In this release, the major theme is on wines from Veneto, while the secondary theme highlights Ontario wines for upcoming feasts.
The VINTAGES team did something interesting in this release with the Veneto thematic by trying to associate each letter of the alphabet with something from the region (e.g. A is for Amarone, B is for Baroque Music, C is for Corvina, etc.). However, only 11 wines were selected as part of the theme, four of which fell under V is for Valpolicella.
Only three Veneto wines are included among my wine picks, including one of the aforementioned Valpolicellas from Feudi San Pio that is made using the Ripasso technique - expect some sweet-fruited flavours. From the letter "R" is a Recioto from Monte Faustino that takes the sweetness levels up a few notches in this red wine. Lastly, under the letter "S" is a Soave, Veneto's signature white wine, from Montresor that is made using Garganega.
The mini-theme of Ontario wines for Easter featured 6 wines, and only the Fielding Viognier made my wine picks. Other Ontario wines not part of the thematic, but I think would also be perfectly suitable for Easter are the Flat Rock Riesling (medium sweet), Creekside Laura's White (a blend that is mostly Sauvignon Blanc), and Henry of Pelham Chardonnay.
From the rest of the release are a pair of matured Spanish reds, including the 10-year-old Monasterio de las Viñas (60% Garnacha, 30% Tempranillo and 10% Cariñena) and the 7-year-old Bodegas Muriel Reserva that is 100% Tempranillo. Another fabulous wine from the great 2010 Bordeaux vintage is the Château Haut Selve Réserve that is nearly 50/50 Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot blend and should be cellared for at least a couple of years prior to opening.
And finally, if you want to end your Easter festivities this year with one terrific wine, check out the Château La Tour Blanche. This sweet dessert wine is a blend of Sémillon, Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadelle, from Noble Rot-affected grapes. You may see me lining up for this one.
Enjoy my wine recommendations for this week and Happy Easter. Cheers!
- AGRIVERDE PIANE DI MAGGIO MONTEPULCIANO D’ABRUZZO 2013 - DOC, Abruzzo, Italy (#394999) (D) - $15.95
- MONASTERIO DE LAS VIÑAS GRAN RESERVA 2005 - DO Cariñena, Spain (#082024) (XD) - $16.95
- FEUDI SAN PIO RIPASSO VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO SUPERIORE 2012 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#181446) (D) - $17.95
- CARMEN GRAN RESERVA CARMENÈRE 2012 - Apalta, Colchagua Valley, Chile (#439166) (XD) - $17.95
- MURIEL RESERVA VENDIMIA SELECCIONADA 2008 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#276030) (D) - $18.95
- TSCHARKE MARANANGA GNADENFREI SHIRAZ 2011 - Barossa Valley, South Australia (#303370) (XD) - $26.95
- CHÂTEAU HAUT SELVE RÉSERVE 2010 - AC Graves, Bordeaux, France (#235424) (XD) - $27.95
- MONTE FAUSTINO RECIOTO DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2008 - DOCG, Veneto, Italy (#403857) (M) (500 mL) - $45.95
- FULIGNI BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2008 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#245225) (XD) - $49.95
- VITANZA RISERVA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2007 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#236232) (XD) - $89.95 Flagship Store Exclusive
- MONTRESOR SOAVE CLASSICO 2013 - DOP, Veneto, Italy (#408302) (D) - $13.95
- FLAT ROCK RIESLING 2014 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#043281) (M) - $16.95
- GEHRINGER BROTHERS PRIVATE RESERVE PINOT GRIS 2013 - BC VQA Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada (#347203) (XD) - $18.95
- CREEKSIDE LAURA’S WHITE 2013 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#121764) (XD) - $18.95
- HENRY OF PELHAM ESTATE CHARDONNAY 2013 - VQA Short Hills Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#268342) (XD) - $19.95
- FORREST THE DOCTORS’ SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#317842) (D) - $19.95
- DOG POINT SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#677450) (XD) - $24.95
- FIELDING VIOGNIER 2013 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#142323) (D) - $25.95
- DOMAINE JEAN COLLET & FILS MONTMAINS CHABLIS 1 ER CRU 2011 - AC, Burgundy, France (#405704) (XD) - $31.95
- CÁLEM LÁGRIMA WHITE PORT - DOP, Douro, Portugal (#912568) (S) - $16.95
- CHÂTEAU LA TOUR BLANCHE 2011 - 1er Cru, AC Sauternes, Bordeaux, France (#296319) (S) (375 mL) - $49.85 Flagship Store Exclusive
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.