First up is the Ridge Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon that hails from the Santa Cruz Mountains and contains 14% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot, and 1% Cabernet Franc - it will drink well for the next 6-7 years. The Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon is organic & biodynamic and almost all Cab with just dashes of Petit Verdot (5%), Cabernet Franc (3%) and Merlot (1% ). The Cade Cabernet Sauvignon is also all Napa Valley fruit, but specifically from Howell Mountain, and includes 7% Merlot to round out the blend. The Dominus is the most expensive wine in the release and it is composed of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petit Verdot and 5% Cabernet Franc and can be enjoyed over the next decade. Lastly, the Cakebread Dancing Bear Ranch is available as part of the Flagship Store Exclusive release and contains 13% Cabernet Franc and 2% Merlot.
The mini-theme of this release features 6 big, food-friendly wines from Southwest, France. From this portion of the release, only a premium Cahors made the list - a red wine that is 100% Malbec from vines that are 60+ years old.
If you're looking for quality red wines under $20, this release is a little light. However, there is a big 100% Xinomavro from Greece that could be aged for at least another 10 years. There is also traditional Bordeaux-blend from Ontario - a 2012 Cab Franc/Cab Sauv/Merlot blend from Pondview. Actual Bordeaux wines that are worth considering are a Cab Sauv/Merlot blend from Les Charmes de Magnol and a Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Cabernet Franc/Petit Verdot (60/35/4/1%) from iconic Château Pontet-Canet.
In white wines, the only blend is from Rhône's E. Guigal and it consists of 65% Viognier, 15% Roussane, 10% Marsanne, 8% Clairette, and 2% Bourboulenc. For sweet wine lovers, you'll want to check out either Riesling from Germany or Ontario, or the Pinot Gris from Alsace.
Enjoy my wine picks for this week. Cheers!
- CASTELLO DI AMA RISERVA CHIANTI CLASSICO 2009 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#403824) (XD) (375 mL) - $16.95
- BOUTARI GRANDE RESERVE 2008 - PDO Naoussa, Greece (#140111) (XD) - $17.95
- PONDVIEW RESERVE CABERNET/MERLOT 2012 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#307561) (XD) - $18.95
- LES CHARMES DE MAGNOL 2010 - AC Médoc, Bordeaux, France (#403709) (XD) - $18.95
- CHAKANA ESTATE SELECTION RED BLEND 2012 - Mendoza, Argentina (#322602) (D) - $26.95
- CHARLES CIMICKY RESERVE SHIRAZ 2012 - Barossa Valley, South Australia (#685594) (XD) - $31.95
- CHÂTEAU PINERAIE L’AUTHENTIQUE CAHORS 2011 - AC, Southwest, France (#408294) (XD) - $39.95
- RIDGE ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2011 - Monte Bello Vineyard, Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA (#089284) (XD) - $73.95
- GRGICH HILLS ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2010 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#071407) (XD) - $80.95 reviewed here
- CADE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2011 - Howell Mountain, Napa Valley, California, USA (#325027) (XD) - $112.95
- CAKEBREAD DANCING BEAR RANCH CABERNET SAUVIGNON/CABERNET FRANC 2011 - Howell Mountain, Napa Valley, California, USA (#220459) (XD) - $159.95 Flagship Store Exclusive
- CHÂTEAU PONTET-CANET 2011 - 5e Cru, AC Pauillac, Bordeaux, France (#297739 / #300335 / #297747 / #298885) (XD) - $174.85
- DOMINUS 2011 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#212381) (XD) - $176.95
- RABL LÖSS GRÜNER VELTLINER 2013 - DAC Kamptal, Austria (#295709) (XD) - $14.95
- CAPE POINT VINEYARDS SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013 - WO Cape Point, South Africa (#285221) (XD) - $15.95
- DR. HERMANN ERDENER TREPPCHEN RIESLING KABINETT 2010 - Pradikätswein, Mosel, Germany (#402420) (S) - $17.95
- E. GUIGAL CÔTES DU RHÔNE BLANC 2013 - AC, Rhône, France (#290296) (XD) - $18.95
- WOLFBERGER SIGNATURE PINOT GRIS 2013 - AC Alsace, France (#398172) (D) - $18.95
- FLAT ROCK NADJA’S VINEYARD RIESLING 2013 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#578625) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here
- TRIMBACH RIESLING 2012 - AC Alsace, France (#734517) (XD) - $21.95
- DOMAINE LE VERGER CHABLIS 2013 - AC, Burgundy, France (#181289) (XD) - $22.95
- SAINT CLAIR WAIRAU RESERVE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#415653) (XD) - $35.95
- CALERA CHARDONNAY 2013 - Mt. Harlan, Central Coast, California, USA (#968925) (D) - $49.95
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.