Generally speaking, the wines from the Bordeaux feature were all quite good, however, it was difficult to find really good values. Having said that, the Château Guiraud Sauternes (65% Sémillon / 35% Sauvignon Blanc) dessert wine is an excellent buy. The other Bordeaux wine is a fruit-forward red blend consisting of Merlot and Cabernet Franc and a very good value from the excellent 2010 vintage.
The Spanish feature with 7 wines revealed an exemplary white wine blend from Rías Baixas DO that consists of 70% Albariño, 18% Loureiro and 12% Caíño Blanco. This was the only white wine among the featured Spanish wines. While many of the red wines were also good, they were priced a little bit too high in my opinion.
For Thanksgiving, the Alsatian Riesling is a food-friendly, off-dry (i.e. slightly sweet) that will surely delight with your turkey or served with appetizers. Having said that, many of the white wines recommended below will pair nicely with turkey, such as the wine from Gorgo that is new to our market and consists of Cortese, Tocai, Trebbiano Toscano, and Garganega, and the 100% Fiano; both of these wines are from Italy.
Among red wines, from Greece is a 100% Agiorgitiko, while the red wine from Argentina is a Malbec-led blend. There is also a trifecta of Chianti Classico's available: the Fonterutoli is 90% Sangiovese and 10% Malvasia Nera / Colorino / Merlot, the Riserva (aged 2 years in oak) is 100% Sangiovese, and the Gran Selezione is a blend of 85% Sangiovese and 15% Merlot. Another wine from Italy is made with 100% Grignolino, a single varietal wine from a grape we don't see too often.
Enjoy my wine picks from this VINTAGES Release and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
- CHÂTEAU LES TOURELLES 2010 - AC Bordeaux, France (#426247) (XD) - $14.95
- TABALI RESERVA SYRAH 2012 - Limarí Valley, Chile (#662692) (D) - $14.95
- CAVINO GRANDE RESERVE 2008 - PDO Nemea, Greece (#295618) (D) - $17.95 reviewed here
- FINCA FLICHMAN PAISAJE DE TUPUNGATO 2012 - Mendoza, Argentina (#415034) (XD) - $17.95
- ACCORNERO BRICCO DEL BOSCO GRIGNOLINO DEL MONFERRATO CASALESE 2013 - DOC, Piedmont, Italy (#426635) (XD) - $19.95
- ROSEWOOD ORIGIN CABERNET FRANC 2013 - VQA Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#427534) (XD) - $25.95 reviewed here
- FONTERUTOLI CHIANTI CLASSICO 2012 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#977629) (XD) - $25.95
- PENFOLDS BIN 128 SHIRAZ 2013 - Coonawarra, South Australia (#509919) (D) - $34.95
- CASTELLO DI VOLPAIA RISERVA CHIANTI CLASSICO 2012 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#705335) (XD) - $41.95 FSE
- TENUTA SAN VINCENTI GRAN SELEZIONE CHIANTI CLASSICO 2011 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#414417) (XD) - $54.95
- LE VIEUX DONJON CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 2013 - AC, Rhône, France (#700922) (XD) - $58.95
- GORGO SAN MICHELIN CUSTOZA 2014 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#428045) (XD) - $14.95
- PIERRE SPARR LIEU DIT ALTENBOURG RIESLING 2013 - AC Alsace. France (#906016) (D) - $16.95 reviewed here
- DONNACHIARA MONTEFALCIONE FIANO DI AVELLINO 2013 - DOCG, Campania, Italy (#372482) (XD) - $17.95
- SANTA ALICIA GRAN RESERVA DE LOS ANDES CHARDONNAY 2013 - Maipo Valley, Chile (#406991) (XD) - $18.95
- JULES TAYLOR SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#224428) (XD) - $19.95
- SERESIN CHARDONNAY 2012 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#019190) (XD) - $24.95
- TERRAS GAUDA O ROSAL BLANCO 2013 - DO Rías Baixas, Spain (#040238) (XD) - $24.95
- JOH. JOS. CHRISTOFFEL ERBEN ÜRZIGER WÜRZGARTEN RIESLING SPÄTLESE 2013 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#336396) (S) - $28.95 FSE
- HENRI BOURGEOIS LA CHAPELLE DES AUGUSTINS SANCERRE 2012 - AC, Loire, France (#322628) (XD) - $29.95 FSE
- 2027 WISMER VINEYARD FOX CROFT BLOCK CHARDONNAY 2012 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#421362) (XD) - $30.00
- CHÂTEAU GUIRAUD 2011 - 1er Grand Cru Classé en 1855, AC Sauternes, Bordeaux, France (#298943) (S) (375 mL) - $39.85