In case you didn't know, Appassimento is a winemaking technique that involves drying grapes and tends to produce naturally sweeter wines. There are 3 major styles of Appassimento wines - Recioto, Amarone and Ripasso - all of which are represented in this release. Of the 16 wines featured, quite a few would be worthy additions to your cellar, and 3 of my wine picks below are excellent buys.
The Bertani Ripasso is a blend of Rondinella and Corvina Veronese and during the 2nd fermentation (i.e. ripasso) was refermented on pomaces of Recioto and Amarone. The Tenuta Sant'Antonio is a dry Amarone (i.e. not sweet) and consists of 70% Corvina, 20% Rondinella, 5% Croatina and 5% Oseleta; it will age gracefully and can be enjoyed over the next 10 years. And finally, the Brigaldara Amarone is an off-dry version (i.e. slightly sweet) made with 50% Corvinone, 20% Corvina, 20% Rondinella and 10% other grapes and can be enjoyed over the next 13 years. With both of these Amarones, you'll want to wait at least a year before opening as their both still a bit young.
Easter is the second feature of the release and highlights just 5 wines to help make your festive day more festive. Three of these wines made my list of wine picks - Featherstone's Rosé, Lailey's Chardonnay, and Reif's Vidal Icewine are all recommended, even if you don't celebrate Easter.
For Chardonnay fans, all of the Chardonnays mentioned below are oaked, except for the Chablis (50 yr old vines). For Riesling lovers, the German Riesling is the sweetest of the three I recommend and will have exotic notes typical of Piesporter wines. The Godelia Red is 100% Mencía with grapes coming from three zones with differing soils.
Enjoy my wine recommendations for this week. Cheers!
- GRANT BURGE 5TH GENERATION SHIRAZ 2012 - Barossa, South Australia (#361295) (XD) - $18.95
- CAPARZO ROSSO DI MONTALCINO 2011 - DOC, Tuscany, Italy (#333575) (XD) - $19.95
- BERTANI VILLA NOVARE RIPASSO VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO SUPERIORE 2010 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#095810) (XD) - $19.95
- CONCHA Y TORO MARQUES DE CASA CONCHA CARMENÈRE 2008 - Peumo, Rapel Valley, Chile (#169862) (XD) - $19.95
- GODELIA RED 2009 - DO Bierzo, Spain (#368043) (XD) - $20.95
- JULICHER 99 ROWS PINOT NOIR 2010 - Te Muna Road, Martinborough, North Island, New Zealand (#367979) (XD) - $24.95
- JIM BARRY THE COVER DRIVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2010 - Coonawarra, South Australia (#677476) (XD) - $26.95 reviewed here
- TENUTA SANT’ANTONIO SELEZIONE ANTONIO CASTAGNEDI AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2010 - DOCG, Veneto, Italy (#685107) (XD) - $43.95
- BRIGALDARA AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2009 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#300012) (D) - $49.95
- PERRIN & FILS RÉSERVE CÔTES DU RHÔNE BLANC 2012 - AC, Rhône, France (#499509) (XD) - $14.95
- GUSTAVE LORENTZ RÉSERVE RIESLING 2012 - AC Alsace, France (#641639) (D) - $17.95
- LAILEY CHARDONNAY 2012 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#193482) (XD) - $19.95
- 13TH STREET JUNE’S VINEYARD RIESLING 2011 - VQA Creek Shores, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#147512) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here
- REINHOLD HAART PIESPORTER RIESLING KABINETT 2010 - Prädikatswein, Mosel, Germany (#727461) (M) - $19.95
- LANDER-JENKINS SPIRIT HAWK CHARDONNAY 2011 - California, USA (#162651) (D) - $19.95
- SYLVAIN MOSNIER VIEILLES VIGNES CHABLIS 2010 - AC, Burgundy, France (#357152) (XD) - $26.95
- BACHELDER OREGON CHARDONNAY 2011 - Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA (#273334) (XD) - $29.95
- LA CREMA CHARDONNAY 2012 - Russian River Valley, Sonoma County, California (#067231) (XD) - $37.95
- PETIT RIMAURESQ GRENACHE/CINSAULT/SYRAH ROSÉ 2012 - Provence, France (#276360) (XD) - $13.95
- FEATHERSTONE ROSÉ 2013 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#117861) (D) - $14.95
- PUKLUS PINCÉSZET TOKAJI ASZÚ 3 PUTTONYOS 2008 - Hungary (#980805) (MS) (500 mL) - $20.95
- REIF VIDAL ICEWINE 2012 - VQA Niagara River, Ontario, Canada (#544791) (S) (200 mL) - $24.95
The rest of the wines from this release can be found here.