Just 12 wines are included in the Aussie wines feature, and only 2 are included among my wine picks. The Best's Shiraz will age for at least a decade and is recommended to pair with grilled chicken wings with a spiced barbecue sauce, while the Hill-Smith Chardonnay would go well with a roasted chicken marinated in lavender & provençal herbs.
The Greek mini-theme has only 6 wines listed and, once again, 2 are included in my wine recommendations. Native to Greece, the Moschofilero is a florally aromatic white wine that's dry and crisp. Gaining in popularity in Greek winemaking (and here in Ontario!) is Syrah; it is more often blended with other local varietals, but single-varietal wines such as the one from Alpha Estate are showing very good potential.
In red wines, the Faugères red is a blend of 55% Syrah, 26% Mourvèdre and 19% Grenache, while the Rhône red is a equal parts Grenache and Syrah, along with 20% Carignan. Also from France, the Bordeaux red is approximately 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc, while the Loire red is 100% Cabernet Franc from 30-year-old vines. Lastly, the wine from Hungary is made with 100% Kekfrankos (a.k.a. Blaufrankisch, Lemberger) from vines more than 40 years old.
Among my white wine picks, Domaine Lafage continues to pump out quality wines at very reasonable prices, such as the Cadireta Blanc which consists of Chardonnay (unusual for this French appellation) and 5% Viognier. Also in this release is a rich Fiano that is a Flagship Store Exclusive (FSE). The South African Chardonnay is made in a reductive, smoky style, while the California Chardonnay is your traditional (for the region) ripe, fruity, heavily oaked Chardonnay.
From the rest of the release, the Gassier rosé is a blend of 40% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 10%
Rolle, 10% Cinsault and 5% Ugni Blanc, while the Bandol rosé is a blend of 40% Mourvèdre, 30% Grenache and 30% Cinsault. And finally, the vintage sparkling wine from South Africa is 100% Chardonnay.
Enjoy my wine recommendations from this release! Cheers!
- CHÂTEAU RIGAUD 2012 - AP Faugères, Midi, France (#393561) (XD) - $16.95 reviewed here
- LES VIGNERONS DU CASTELAS VIEILLES VIGNES SIGNARGUES CÔTES DU RHÔNE-VILLAGES 2013 - AC, Rhône, France (#034116) (XD) - $17.95 reviewed here
- BEST’S BIN NO. 1 SHIRAZ 2013 - Great Western, Victoria, Australia (#222323) (D) - $19.95
- CHÂTEAU TOUR DE SARRAIL 2010 - AC Bordeaux, France (#448829) (XD) - $19.95
- KLOOF STREET 2014 - WO Swartland, South Africa (#460964) (XD) - $19.95
- VIGNOBLE DES ROBINIÈRES L’ALOUETTE BOURGUEIL 2014 - AC, Loire, France (#450494) (XD) - $19.95
- ALPHA ESTATE TURTLES VINEYARD SYRAH 2011 - IGP Florina, Greece (#115295) (D) - $21.95 reviewed here
- J. & J. KEKFRANKOS 2011 - Eger, Hungary (#446591) (XD) - $24.95
- LAZZERETTI BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2008 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#318352) (XD) - $46.95
- DAMILANO LECINQUEVIGNE BAROLO 2011 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#454488) (XD) - $46.95 FSE
- HARTLEY OSTINI HITCHING POST QUINTA DEL MAR PINOT NOIR 2012 - San Luis Obispo County, California, USA (#456715) (XD) - $58.95 FSE
- THELEMA MOUNTAIN VINEYARDS SUTHERLAND CHARDONNAY 2012 - WO Elgin, South Africa (#146423) (XD) - $15.95
- NALS MARGREID PINOT GRIGIO 2014 - DOC Südtirol/Alto Adige, Italy (#290924) (D) - $16.95
- FEATHERSTONE BLACK SHEEP RIESLING 2015 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#080234) (M) - $16.95 reviewed here
- DOMAINE LAFAGE CADIRETA BLANC 2014 - IGP Côtes Catalanes, Midi, France (#448472) (XD) - $16.95
- TROUPIS MOSCHOFILERO 2015 - PDO Mantinia, Greece (#463422) (XD) - $16.95
- HILL-SMITH ESTATE CHARDONNAY 2014 - Eden Valley, South Australia (#361584) (XD) - $19.95
- SANFORD CHARDONNAY 2012 - Santa Rita Hills, Santa Barbara County, California, USA (#956003) (XD) - $30.95
- COLLI DI LAPIO FIANO DI AVELLINO 2014 - DOCG, Campania, Italy (#455253) (XD) - $30.95 FSE
- LA CADIERENNE CUVÉE GRANDE TRADITION BANDOL ROSÉ 2015 - AC, Provence, France (#119453) (XD) - $20.95 reviewed here
- CHÂTEAU GASSIER LE PAS DU MOINE ROSÉ 2015 - AP Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire, France (#450874) (XD) - $21.95
- CATHEDRAL CELLAR BLANC DE BLANCS SPARKLING WINE 2010 - Méthode Cap Classique, WO Western Cape, South Africa (#462762) (D) - $16.95
- OFFLEY 10-YEAR-OLD TAWNY PORT - DOP, Portugal (#297788) (S) - $25.95